Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2016, 10:40   #1

Boat: Hughes 35
New boaters, new boat, new diesel?

Hey all! The misses and I have been sailing for a few years on a C&C 25 Redline out of the Thames River Yacht Club in Ontario, Canada (Great Lakes). We just took the plunge and bought something bigger!

The Hughes 35 we bought comes with a two year old Volvo 3cyl diesel/saildrive system.

The other club members tell us that while the boat has been in the water for the last two seasons, it has rarely been used. Thus, we should be highly suspect of any diesel in the tank.

As this is our first diesel, I am interested in your thoughts?

Should we drain the tank? Top up with new fuel? What sort of checks would you do?

Any other thoughts on what to inspect? As I understand it, it is a closed loop cooling system in the engine, but a fresh water cooling system for the saildrive.

Thanks so much!

Tim and Candice
S/V Windward, soon to be S/V Lady K
TRYC Ontario
timlabute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 10:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: New boaters, new boat, new diesel?

Howdy!
I see this is your first post in the forum. Welcome!

You could have a load of algae growing in the tank, which could quickly clog a fuel filter or lines and stop the engine, and you might find ot at the worst possible time, when you really need your engine.

IF I were in your boat shoes, I would do one of the following:

1. Pump the fuel into a dockside container, filter (polish) the fuel, inspect and clean the tank, refill.

Or..

2. Pay someone to do the above.

You can read about how to "polish" your own fuel. It only takes simple tools and filters.

Probably find many articles on this.
----

Note, many sailors will never bother to do that.
-----

Note, the Diesel may run for a short while, then quit later if the boat fuel tank gets agitated by wave action.
------

Here is some reading on fuel polishing:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...uel&gsc.page=1
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 11:34   #3

Boat: Hughes 35

Thanks for the warm welcome!

If I am going to pump the tank dry, do I need to bleed the system? Might be a good exercise to do so anyway for my own education.

Depending on the amount of fuel, it may just be easier to drain and get new fuel...wouldn't it?

Thanks again!

Tim
timlabute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 11:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlabute View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome!

If I am going to pump the tank dry, do I need to bleed the system? Might be a good exercise to do so anyway for my own education.

Depending on the amount of fuel, it may just be easier to drain and get new fuel...wouldn't it?

Thanks again!

Tim
Tim,

First, I am not the most experienced sailor here on the forum and I do not have the Diesel mechanic credentials and experience of many here, from whom I learn, so take my comments with a splash of saltwater. But, it is what I would do, based on what I have learned.

I wrote my post and then thought about it later (after too late to edit it).
The general point I wanted to make is that when buying a USED boat or a boat that has been sitting a long time, it is a GOOD idea to check the fuel, and filter the fuel, and check the tank for algae growth.

Then, it occurred to me that someone reading this thread could have a smaller boat and have a smaller tank. Some boats have 100-200-1,000 gallons of fuel in tanks. Some have 20 gallons. Removing less than 20 gallons and carrying it ashore to filter it would not be a big problem. There have been threads that discuss how to filter on the dock (using a few big buckets and cheap filters and hoses and a manual hand pump).

I hope my links to "Fuel Polishing" did not intimidate you, because some boats have big tanks and the polishing can be justified to be done by a pro who will bring equipment to do it. Others have onboard "fuel polishing systems" (usually a series of filters and possibly a "day tank") and that works for many.

But, for a smaller boat, it may make sense to do it yourself, especially if the tank is small and there is little fuel left.

My main point is to make sure that there is not a lot of sludge or biomass in the tank (Diesel fuel can have algae growing in it, so a fuel treatment or biocide is used to prevent that). That is what I would do with any new to me used boat.

Lastly, it is a good idea to have a couple of spare fuel filters on your boat ready (near the engine) so you can quickly change the filter if you have the engine stop on you and you suspect the fuel. Some sailors have gone through several filters because of dirty fuel. So, I would have more than one.

Here is a highly regarded basic book I would buy ASAP if any sailor is new to Diesels. https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Diesel...VJVBBV700DAT8K

Good luck. I am sure others here (who have more Diesel experience and anecdotes) will chime in with more tips.

P. S. It is also a good idea to have a few spare water pump impellers on the boat too. These are round rubber items that you should learn how to replace ASAP. They are a common failure point on engines, cost very little to replace, and are usually very easy to replace. They are also likely to fail it fail if the boat has not been used in a long time, because the rubber will deteriorate and take a shape and then fail when under stress (when you really need that motor running).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 09:00   #5

have the fuel polished then add anti water additive and fule booster as fill station diesel is pretty bad
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 11:55   #6

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I would check the saildrive VERY carefully. Since the prop is below the water line for years at a time, even a tiny leak caused by wrapping a fishing line around the prop will admit some water into the sail drive oil.

Change it, test it, and keep an eye on it for leaks until you are sure.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 13:33   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 33

Most definitely remove the fuel and clean the tank and lines, replace the filters. I have just removed my tank from the boat as it was not possible to access the inspection port and adequately clean it out. The tank walls were coated with crud and just a matter of time before it would cause some grief. Clean the vent as well.
OzClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 15:20   #8

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Greetings to Timlabute,

I have a similar boat, Northstar 1500, the original tank in mine was 18 gallons, easiest to just pump it out. I would be surprised if it wasn't cleaned with the new engine install. You could use an inspection camera to have a look-see. I would love to see a pic of the sail drive!

Congrats on moving up!
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 17:14   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Hey Tim
We share the same lake and the same last name. I think I know what boat you bought. If I am right, I even installed you refrigeration system.
I also have a 3 Cylinder volvo in my Beneteau, but no saildrive.
We don't get as much algae growth up here in the Great White North and fuel polishing isn't that common. My recommendation would be to change both primary and secondary filters, add fuel stabilizer, and go out and enjoy your new boat.
If you do have a problem, which I highly doubt, you can always buy a cheap shop vac and suck the fuel out of the tank and buy new fuel.
Brian La Bute
Sinbad51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 19:25   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Since you're new to diesels, they just love having nice clean fresh oil. Unless you know for sure that the boat had her oil changed before being stored, I'd do an oil change as well. Normally, one runs the engine a bit first, it makes it easier to suck out the oil, but in this case, it may be more prudent to just change it first. Turn the engine over by hand a few times without actually firing it up (if you can), which will distribute the oil to areas it has drained from.

The services outlined so far, are common, and good practice. You want to carry a spare impeller, even if you put in a new one. This is a just in case sort of deal, they're relatively cheap. Look for the manufacturer source, you most likely don't have to buy them from Volvo.

Fuel filters, change them, and have a couple of spares. Same advice about sourcing. You'll use them eventually, and when they get clogged, the engine will die at idle, so you want them to be easy to change. [As well as having the anchor easy to use.]

Not knowing when the gear oil in the leg was changed, it would be prudent to change that, as well.

Then, go play, have fun with your boat. Read up on winterizing.

Ann
Old 22-06-2016, 10:32   #11
Marine Service Provider

You indicate that the Volvo engine is two years old, but don't say how old the rest of the boat is or what the fuel tank if made from' AT a minimum I would drain the fuel tank and dispose of the old diesel at you local recycling center. Then take the inspection cover or lid off the tank and clean the tank completely - into very nook and corner. Next look a the secondary fuel filter. If it isn't a Racor or Vetus with a clear bowl and water drain, replace it.Replace the primary oil filter on the engine. On the non-fuel side, clear the raw water strainer and replace the impeller of the raw water pump. Now drain and replace the engine coolant, engine oil and gearbox oil and replace them in accordance with engine manufacturers' instructions.
You are now ready for a trial run. Most modern engine bleed themselves, so you probably don't have to worry about that. Having a towing service number in your mobile phone, or a friend with a power boat tagging along for the first few hurs.
Good luck and happy sailing
John Mardall
Vetus Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel