Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 13:09   #16

Re: New Engine High Pitch Noise?

No, no noise when out of gear.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 13:16   #17

The TMC60 box is also marketed as the Tecnodrive & twindisc. They use cone type clutches and can be run in either direction, when used in a heavy duty situation or high temp areas they require the optional cooling kit. Have you tried disconnecting the control cable and engaging it manually?
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 13:20   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
New engine, prop, shaft, and dripless seal. I've noticed a high pitch noise when in gear. Is that from the dripless seal? Only have about thirty hours on it. Will it go away? Or is it something else?

Thanks

I've had a new PSS do this to me. Strangely not when I first fitted it but when I made some changes that involved moving it about three weeks after fitting. The noise lasted a minute or two and had me rushing down to check it out. No leak, so I gently pulled it away from the stainless ring to rinse it through and the noise went away. And yes, we do have the air bleed hose and it was working fine. So maybe something between the two faces of the PSS.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-11-2015, 13:59   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Does it vary in frequency or volume with changing rpm (or forward or astern)?
While this is not a direct help, it may help point you / us in the right direction.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 19:22   #20

Try adjusting the fan belt.
I had a car that did that and the mechanic fixed it in a second.
On Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 19:55   #21

Boat: Herreshoff Prudence Design #71 (built by Glander)

Hello sorry to hear about these issues, whenever I buy new stuff I really wished it would work the first time around. As far as your noise is concerned, since everything is new. Check all fluid levels, check the angle of the output shaft to manufactures reccomendations. Ensure your output shaft will spin freely while gearbox is in neutral. Also automotive shops sale a stethoscope for locating odd noises on cars, looks like the one a doctor wears but with a long rod on the end. If you have a thermo infrared temp gun run the motor then look for high areas of heat in contact zones. Like gearbox to shaft coupling, dripless seal, and all belts or moving pullys.
t140frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:22   #22

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Dripless seal is a PSS, has water. New cutlass bearing and the prop is a FOF. The gearbox is a Twin Disk TCM 60.

I noticed yesterday after an hour or so the noise seemed to go away. However, after about eight hours of running, when we were picking up our mooring, I couldn't get it to drop into reverse, which was a bit disturbing whereas it has always shifted smoothly, so I wonder if the gearbox is the source and or problem. Today it shifts forward and reverse normally.

I notice a Study hall for gearboxes thread so will have to do some reading to learn more but in the meantime, as always, any feedback is appreciated. I'll also try to give Beta a call to see what they have to say and let you know.
===

If the transmission is acting up after a long run it is quite likely that you have either a transmission cooling problem or a lubrication issue. Either way you should get it checked out immediately since things can get expensive very quickly. Failing to shift after a long run is a much more important symptom than the noise.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 00:16   #23

Quote:
No, no noise when out of gear.
Have you tried a stethoscope as I suggested? or a make do one like a long extension for a socket. A stethoscope is better. I was not joking. That will locate where the sound is coming from.
Obviously you need someone else to drive the boat or run it against the lines in a marina berth. Just don't get caught up in the belts. Easy peasy and you will find the source.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 03:28   #24

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

If it is the dripless seal, did the installer lubricate the seal/shaft? You might try taking a soda straw, filling some grease into it, mash it flat a little bit and you should be able to shove the flattened end under the seal edge. Now run your fingers tightly down the tube forcing the grease out and into the seal.

I had your problem (not new engine though) and this fixed it in a jiffy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:54   #25

Well, the noise went away. Still don't know what was causing it. It was sort of a whirling noise that reminded me of a turbine engine sound and that could be heard above the normal diesel drone. Regarding the tranny not dropping into reverse, that turned out to be a one off related to my Vetus single lever engine control since resolved, so no worries there.

As always thanks for the suggestions and feedback!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:14   #26

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

New helical gears settling in will make a "whirling" noise until they fully mesh over break-in.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, noise, pitch