Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 21:19   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
New Fuel Filter System: 'Hagane' Update 5-7-10

I have not been making much structural progress with my steel Bruce Roberts Offshore 38,but instead have been working on the new Fuel Filtering system.

After some lively discussion on another thread about the best design I came up with this schematic for the system:

The fuel will enter the system from the main tank which will be the only tank with a deck fill.

As the engine in my boat is a Volvo Penta 2003 28hp which sips fuel at only 1.54 gph, I could use some somewhat smaller filters.
The first filter is a Racor 200FG with a 30 Micron element which has a flow rate of 15 gph.
The second filter is also a Racor 200FG with a 10 Micron element.
both filters will have the fuel drawn through them by the fuel pump which comes after the 10 Micron filter. This keeps the system from having any pressure on it so that if any leaks occur no fuel is sprayed around.

After passing through the pump the fuel can be either directed to the Day Tank to feed the Engine after passing through a third filter at 2 Microns, (this filter will be a Racor 500FG), or it can be directed back to the main tank to allow for fuel polishing.

Heeding some discussion about the need for heat shields to prevent the plastic bowls on the filters from melting in the event of an engine room fire, I decided to put the majority of the system inside a stainless steel equipment cabinet. I found a used cabinet on eBay for $85 shipped that was 23"X16"X8" which was more than large enough for what I had in mind.

The fuel lines will be stainless braided high performance "AN" fuel hose to prevent chafing damage. They enter the cabinet through bulkhead fittings installed in the bottom of the box.
These re-usable elbow fittings help to keep everything neat and tidy without putting too much stress on the hose:

Here is a shot of the polishing/ ransfer part of the system so far. The fuel inlet is on the far right with the pump at the far left. I used 1/4" steel tubing and 37 degree flare fittings for all of the connections:

I still have to set up a cabinet for the 2 Micron filter, and build the timer switch and float switches to prevent the fuel pump from overfilling the day tank. but that will come soon enough. I located an aluminum 50gal tank for my main tank, and I already have a 20gal day tank.

More updates as they come.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 21:45   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I am curious why you chose solid connections between the primary filters rather than flexible which might be more forgiving of vibration harmonics?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 22:38   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
I will be using rubber washers to eliminate as much vibration as possible to the cabinet as a whole, and the filters themselves are quite solid in the box. I don't anticipate the solid tubing to be that much of an issue. If it does become one, then I will replace the solid tubing with flexible hose using fittings like the ones for the lines from the tanks.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 00:21   #4

I can tell you from vast experience those aluminum hose ends will crack and corode Brass ends are much better of course you would need to chenge the hose type as well
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:33   #5

Boat: Arietta 31 feet long keelOlle Enderlein
Go to a place for used cars se for a pegeuot car diesel Buy the filter it is already equipt with a filter and pump. Then a CAV waterfilter and off You go. Nice and cheap.
New filter in every shop for 5 $ . Dont worry be happy
BUBBABADBOYNO1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter