Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 05:51   #1

New mixing elbow... exhaust hose

Hello!

In the process of installing a new exhaust mixing elbow and I'm trying to utilize the same exhaust hose. Having a hell of a time getting the elbow in to the hose... any suggestions or is it just better to replace the hose?

Yanmar 3jh4e
rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 06:55   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: New mixing elbow... exhaust hose

You can try dipping the end of the hose in almost boiling water for a few minutes. This works very good for head hoses, I haven't tried it with exhaust hose but is worth a try.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 06:56   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
Hello!

In the process of installing a new exhaust mixing elbow and I'm trying to utilize the same exhaust hose. Having a hell of a time getting the elbow in to the hose... any suggestions or is it just better to replace the hose?

Yanmar 3jh4e

Is the exhaust hose the same age as the mixing elbow?

-Chris
Old 31-05-2017, 08:09   #4

Regarding the age if the hose. I actually have no idea as it's a new to me boat. Boat is about 10 years old. I doubt the mixing elbow is.

Is there any reference document with size and type of hoses for these engines?
Old 31-05-2017, 08:31   #5

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

The marine hoses on my boat are all pad printed w/ the month / year of manufacture.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 08:42   #6

Yes, hot water. Maybe some lanolin lube to help. But it's likely wire wound (?) hose, and can be very difficult. My most hated job on boats, wire wound hose installation.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 09:01   #7

I've removed my exhaust elbow a few times and for my setup, removing the hose from the plastic muffler then the elbow is easier. On installation, I install the exhaust elbow first then install the hose on the elbow, and last on the plastic tank. Please note, the term easier does not mean easy. As stated above, not a fun job.
Dan_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 09:01   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

Soak the last 3/4" in carb cleaner. As soon as it starts to soften stick it all the way on., maybe.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 09:02   #9

Boat: Beneteau 343

I had same problem. In my situation the hose was a in great shape but it was oversized in that it was longer than it needed to be which made getting elbow reinserted harder than it should have been. I removed bolts holding elbow to engine, then removed hose from muffler, then removed hose from elbow to be replaced. I then cut .75" off each end which was not easy given the ss wire. Once I mastered the trick of breaking the ss wire by bending it a few times as opposed to cutting it it wasn't too hard. Brute force to get the mixing elbow into the hose first, then getting the hose on the muffler, then securing the elbow via bolts to the engine was the only way I could get the job done. It wasn't an easy as it seemed it should be.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 09:18   #10

Boat: Hunter 30

I used Dawn detergent to both remove and replace the hose.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 09:25   #11

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Heating the hose. You can also use a torch, propane or other. Faster than water. Flame not too close. You don't want to burn the hose.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 09:38   #12

Thanks for all the great feedback! Its a small space as everyone knows... i tired to get down and remove the hose from the plastic muffler but that was also a hard job, it really comes down to space. Feel like if i could just open everything up it would be done in a few minutes (as we all know).

Regarding the hose condition. The hose seems to be in good shape. If everything is original it would be 10 years old. How often do people normal change out the hoses?

Ill also ask again... is there anyway to find out what the recommended size of exhaust piping is? (just in case i got down the new path)
Old 31-05-2017, 09:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailm8 View Post
I used Dawn detergent to both remove and replace the hose.
Did this method end up working well? bubbles coming out the back end of the boat?
Old 31-05-2017, 09:57   #14

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Is your exhaust going into a Vetus muffler? If so the Vetus tailpiece is held into the muffler with O rings. Since the manifold riser is gone the hose probably is also. It can look great outside but internally be cooked. Easier to replace the hose now than later since you have it apart. Measure the mixer tailpiece OD to know what the hose ID is. It's also probably marked on the hose as well but you can't see it till you remove it. Be sure to use constant torque SS clamps and not the traditional hose clamps on the exhaust. A little dish soap will ease the install. Be careful not to crush the muffler plastic muffler tail piece. Added protection for a good seal in the joints can be attained with 3M 4200 (good to 190F). Hope this helps. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 10:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Regarding the hose condition. The hose seems to be in good shape. If everything is original it would be 10 years old. How often do people normal change out the hoses?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
It all depends on how often the engine was used. When I bought my boat in 1998 I made note of the engine hours and 18 years later have determined that I have used the engine TWICE as much per year as the PO who had had it for 12 years! 3300 eh now.

We replaced the exhaust hose when it was 26 years old. New exhaust hose installed on my '88 today....FLIX It may look OK on the outside, but after a while it leaks through. One of the pictures in the link shows it. This is a case of "while you're in there, why not do it?"
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elbow, exhaust