Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2024, 12:36   #1

Boat: Passport 41
New non-metal diesel tank(s): off-the-shelf or custom?

Hi everyone,

I've just removed my badly corroded black iron diesel tank and plan to put two new tanks in its place. I'm going with 2 tanks because they'll be placed in my lazarette so they need to pass through the access door. I'm leaning towards a non-metal tank as it's a wet area, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what material would be best and whether to make one locally or import from the US.

One possibility would be to have FRP tanks fabricated here (Colombia). That would probably be the cheapest option and would allow me to maximize the capacity as I'd get the biggest tanks that would fit through the access door. But for that I'd have to research and decide all details of the tank (e.g. resin type, baffles, thickness, etc), and I'd rather not deal with that.

Another possibility is to buy an off-the-shelf one from the likes of Vetus or Moeler, but I couldn't find recommendations for either (other than Moeler's customer support is non-existant and their tanks have no fittings for a return line) and didn't find many other manufacturers.

So, any suggestions of either manufacturers to buy from or how to spec a custom FRP tank to be fabricated locally would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 14:56   #2

Boat: sailboat
Re: New non-metal diesel tank(s): off-the-shelf or custom?

Forget about mfg anything in the US, mfg and competence here is long dead and gone. I was in Colombia, twice, m a n y years ago, and back then people still knew/cared about quality work. Colombia is under the US thumb so maybe that has been destroyed ... but maybe you can still find independent quality ... be diligent / careful.

IMO, find someone who can fabricate the tanks and go with their preferred material. If they are competent with fiberglass (my factory installed tanks) then let them use fiberglass. Same with other materials. Diesel doesn't have the limitations of gasoline, so materials are only limited to what the diesel won't dissolve.
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 15:12   #3

Re: New non-metal diesel tank(s): off-the-shelf or custom?

I cut out my steel tanks and had to make three tanks to replace the original 48-in long tank. The first set of Tanks I made on a male mold they turned out well but took forever to do as I can only do one at a time. The second set of Tanks I made using G10 board and I could make all three tanks at once I only had the glass the corners and top and bottom. If I had to do it again that's the way I would do it
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tanks