Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2018, 20:20   #1

Boat: Franchini 47L
New Raw Water Pump Yanmar 4JH3-DTE

Hi
I have just done a complete overhaul of the sea water cooling system, new hoses, cleaned and descaled coolers (intercooler, clutch cooler, water cooler and oil cooler) and installed new raw water pump.

below is the link to a picture of the pump i installed.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=y...-LTxKrTocUCMM:

I was wondering if you need to lubricate the shaft of the pump which is exposed with slot open slots just behind the cog which drives the pump?

The new pump works perfectly I was just unsure whether these slots were designed to add lubricant to decrease the shaft wear or whether these slots were to designed to discharge any water that could possibly enter the pump through a damaged seal at any stage.

I would appreciated some advice on this matter as I would like this new pump to last as long as posssible.
Higgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 21:01   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: New Raw Water Pump Yanmar 4JH3-DTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
......... these slots were to designed to discharge any water that could possibly enter the pump through a damaged seal at any stage.

I would appreciated some advice on this matter as I would like this new pump to last as long as posssible.
This is correct.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:28   #3

Hey Higgo,
Did you have to remove the motor mount bracket to remove the raw water pump? It seems to me that I can't get mine removed due to lack of clearance- it hits the bracket just as the pump gear is beginning to emerge, and it still needs to come back another inch at least. If there's some sort of secret, please let me know! I've worked on many Yanmar engines, and I've never needed to do anything this complicated to replace a raw water pump, so if I need to do this extra work I'll be amazed the Yanmar engineers couldn't come up with a better solution.

Regards,
Chet
chetvaldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:37   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetvaldes View Post
Hey Higgo,
Did you have to remove the motor mount bracket to remove the raw water pump? It seems to me that I can't get mine removed due to lack of clearance- it hits the bracket just as the pump gear is beginning to emerge, and it still needs to come back another inch at least. If there's some sort of secret, please let me know! I've worked on many Yanmar engines, and I've never needed to do anything this complicated to replace a raw water pump, so if I need to do this extra work I'll be amazed the Yanmar engineers couldn't come up with a better solution.

Regards,
Chet
Yes, you need to remove the engine mount.... Crazy!
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:22   #5

Hey Daletournier,
Thanks for the rapid reply- I got the same bad news from a local Yanmar dealer, but couldn't get myself to believe it.
Oh well, time to get out the small bottle jack and blocks...
Chet
Old 12-03-2019, 13:10   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

I've been told that Mack Boring yanmar USA sells a modified engine mount bracket that allows the raw water pump to be removed.

If you find out this is true let me know.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 17:41   #7

Daletournier,
I just sent an email to Mack Boring asking about said part- I'll let you know what I find. I couldn't find it in their catalog, but I'm trying anyway. I figure if it facilitates the raw water pump R&R even once, it would probably pay for itself.

Chet

Tags
pump, raw water, raw water pump, water, yanmar