Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2018, 07:39   #46

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: NL Genny cylinders full of oil.

[QUOTE=Olly75; Who's Captain Ron?!

He's a famous sailor and there is a movie... They check the oil before every "run-up".
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 08:32   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
I like the sound of easy! How can I check?

First what model of inverter / Charger do you have?
Ones I am familiar with have to have the AC power pass through them, they are designed to be the first thing shorepower goes to. That way when shore or generator power isn’t present then can power the AC systems on the boat, and when AC power is present, then can charge the batteries.
Easiest way to check is look at the AC power wire terminals on the inverter / Charger and measure for AC power being present when the generator is running, cause obviously without AC power it can’t charge the batteries.
If it works on shorepower and does not on generator, I’d bet lunch that is your problem
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 21:58   #48

Some mechanics store an engine using a system known as 'pickling'.

A spark plug or injector is removed from each cylinder, then a small quantity of light oil is dribbled into the cylinder. Tapping the starter button rotates the crank to spread the oil across the rings and bore, then the injectors or spark plugs are re-inserted. Allegedly, this is supposed to eliminate rust and sticking rings on a stored engine.

From your description, I think you are lucky. Liquids such as oil or coolant do not compress; the rods bend or the starter dies as you attempt to start a 'pickled' engine.

After you start a pickled engine, expect plenty of smoke... and plenty of scowls from the pure air police.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 10:52   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

NL Genny cylinders full of oil.

Properly picked and stored engines can sit forever and still be good.
These guys have been phenomenal on finding old one off parts that are OLD. They even found an extremely rare backwards turning Melin engine in Mexico City. It had apparently been bought decades ago for a race Boat, discovered that it turned backwards and sat.
I know them well and have heat treated parts for them and they have used our hydro press to make parts.
It was in perfect shape, I mean factory new condition.
http://xp-82twinmustangproject.blogspot.com
Old 23-09-2018, 11:55   #50

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
First what model of inverter / Charger do you have?
Ones I am familiar with have to have the AC power pass through them, they are designed to be the first thing shorepower goes to. That way when shore or generator power isn’t present then can power the AC systems on the boat, and when AC power is present, then can charge the batteries.
Easiest way to check is look at the AC power wire terminals on the inverter / Charger and measure for AC power being present when the generator is running, cause obviously without AC power it can’t charge the batteries.
If it works on shorepower and does not on generator, I’d bet lunch that is your problem
Bit of a delayed response, but its a victron inverter charger and doesnt register ac when the genny is running, so I think I owe you lunch!

Next step is how would you suggest I rewire it? Im away from the boat now for six weeks, but will get cracking on the wiring it once Im back in Mexico.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 12:39   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

NL Genny cylinders full of oil.

Well, honestly hire a Marine electrician and ask him is one way.
I don’t mean that to be non helpful, but I know how I wired mine, but your boat may be different and I may tell you something incorrect and or unsafe. High voltage and high amperage can hurt you and cause fires.
However I’d bet money that you can download the manual for your inverter / Charger and in there are likely some very specific installation instructions.
The Manual for my Magnum was very specific.

But as a general rule the inverter / Charger comes after the shorepower / generator switch, that way it gets AC power from either. It sounds like yours may be wired to the shorepower cord before the switch which would explain why it works on shore power, but not the generator
Old 23-09-2018, 14:14   #52

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Not unhelpful at all, and very good advice! Will start the search for a sparky when I get back.

Many thanks for all your help so far.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil