Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 18:08   #16
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
just wanna be clear .. the electronic "upstream" pump is typically used for either filling the day tank (haven't used it for this YET) or for priming the fuel path ... that mechanical pump priming level is a pain .. in more than one way.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:21   #17

Boat: Seabird Kayak :)
When checking the mechanical pump, caution with some types that if you check it when the engine is stopped then it may not pump unless the crankshaft is in a certain position. I had this occur with our Nanni motor, the fuel prime only works in certain positions. Just one thing to consider in working out what is happening.
ribbony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 15:46   #18
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
UPDATE:

Ooookay. The priming pump was sucking air, there was a hose leak around a clamp, and the o-ring in the Racor had shrunk (???) and was also leaking. OYE!

After all that, primed through the injectors and it started up. Did have one little interesting quirk ... when I was priming the injector pump, the priming pump didn't seem to be getting it done - I pumped (one time!) the mechanical pump's manual priming lever and all of a sudden I had one hell of a stream of diesel coming out of the lower priming screw on the injector. Does that make sense?

Thanks for all the help and input!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel