Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2023, 08:26   #16

Boat: Antares 44i
Re: No mess oil filter change

As mentioned, punch a hole in the current filter with long screwdriver to drain contents and to make removal of the current filter easier (no need for gripping devices). Then, whether or not one uses bags or foil, we use blue masking tape to affix the collecting object (in our case, a regular plastic bag with absorbent material in the bottom) to the side of the motor so there's no leaking in between the object and engine. Make sure to wipe the surface with a degreaser prior so that tape sticks nicely. Zero mess, not a drop of oil in the bilge...

Standard practice of warming the oil before extracting also makes flow / spillage easier to manage.
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:03   #17

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
A remote filter may be the answer, but where do you find kits for that?
This may be a starting point, you may need the thread size of the original filter and the diameter of its sealing ring.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...elocation-kits
Old 03-11-2023, 09:51   #18

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPNC View Post
Punch a small hole in a horizontal filter to allow it to drain into a pan or cup. Once it is drained, cover hole with tape and then spin off the filter. Little to no mess.
Tempest, and others I'm sure, make a little metal tool that screws into the filter, it has a hose barb and can be twisted on/off to stop the flow.

Works great.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 09:50   #19

I am not interested anything added to my stock 3YM30 because it is something that could leak down the road.
I just use the right size container which fits under the motor and oil filter and works great.
Seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 09:59   #20

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
following.. We've got both a vertical and a horizontal oil filter(Genset & Yanmar). We've used ziploks & double grocery bags...but it's still messy. A remote filter may be the answer, but where do you find kits for that?
Yes, the concept sounds PDG, has anyone ever done thst, and how? Presumably, you'd need a flexible connection at some point between the engine and the remote location?
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 10:23   #21

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkstone bay View Post
Yes, the concept sounds PDG, has anyone ever done thst, and how? Presumably, you'd need a flexible connection at some point between the engine and the remote location?
Yes, the entire concept of remote filters has been used on larger engines/commercial applications for longer than most of us have been alive.
Yes, you do need flexible connections, that's why hose is used.
Another great feature is being able to use larger filters.
Instead of one that holds a few ounces you might use one that holds a couple of quarts.
I posted a link to Summit, and a simple Google search will turn-up a plethora of sources for adaptors/mounts.
I find it somewhat amusing/amazing that boat owners will spend years playing around with bags, tape, screwdrivers, awls, pans, anything they can get their hands on, and still have some kind of a mess for clean-up and disposal, and then figure out some way to justify not using remote filters.
I wanted something better than hose barbs and clamps and so used Aeroquip hose and fittings.
Leaks? No, in 30 years there has never been any leaks at the adaptors, engine, or hoses.
Old 06-11-2023, 14:55   #22

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
A few years back I saw a diesel, (a "Merlin?, I forget the brand/make/model,) that had the oil filter mounted up-side down on top of the engine.
The "engineer" that came up with that needed his PE revoked, (or beat with a rubber hose).
My wife's BMW X3 (ok, not a boat) has that - filter on top of engine. Not sure why the hate on the designer, drains by itself, easy change.

My 4JH2-TE has the filter on the side; I do the plastic-bag routine with a couple of paper towels below. I use a vacuum oil extractor and have it ready to suction up the filter mounting and filter itself as soon as it comes off the engine. Trickiest part is unscrewing the filter through the bag once it's covered in oil, but my last oil change only had a few drops on the paper. I wouldn't mind if the filter was on top though clearance would be an issue.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil filter