Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2013, 10:39   #1

No Power at Controls

Hi there

I'm new to the forum and this is only my second post. I am having some unusual problems with power. I have a 1988 60hp Mercury outboard with power trim and a set of quicksilver controls. I am in the process of rebuliding the boat and was having some control issues (would not shift into reverse). Assuming it was the control box itself, I took it apart and disconnected everything in hopes of buying a new-used box. When I took it apart I found my problem and resolved it so the controls shifted smoothly. Connected everything back up properly with the control cable and tested my power trim to see if it worked. Everything was good.

Decided to take the boat out for a water test. Lowered the motor with trim and then turned the key only to hear a loud sharp beep. I think this indicates that the boat is not in neutral. However, I took the controls apart again to make sure everything was connected right. I saw that it was so I reassemble the control box. Went to try starting the boat and now there's nothing. Now sounds, no trim, no power at all to the control box. The battery is fully charged and there is power going to the outboard. I had to jump the trim relay in order to take the boat out of the water again.

Anyways, today I decided to poke around and clean all the connectors with emery cloth and try reassembling again. No go. I was wondering if anybody on here might know what my problem is? It sounds like it could be a possible fuse or switch problem but I have no idea as to where that would be located. I know the controls, ignition and trim work as I've had it running before in the yard. It just seems weird to me to have the controls working one second and then the next not have any power at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch
Kyle
9louie9 is offline   Reply With Quote