Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2018, 14:01   #1

Boat: Aloha 34
Normal Operating Temps

I just got a great deal (Canadian Tire 70% off if you’re Canadian [emoji1303]) on a digital temperature reading. I believe a normal Diesel engine should operate under around 220 Fahrenheit..........is that right ? I have a Westerbeke 27 HP. I’m also wondering what is a healthy operating temp for checking on the cutlass bearing / shaft while cruising ?? Just looking for suggestions and tips not to be berated and yelled at for not knowing already [emoji3]
Bolitho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 14:05   #2

Re: Normal Operating Temps

220F?? That seems high. Water boils at 212F (Admittedly, it will boil at higher levels under pressure).

I'd expect most combustion engines to have an operating temp. of around 175F (give or take).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 14:11   #3

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

220F is too hot... Unless you're taking an infrared thermometer reading from the exhaust header or something?

The thermostat housing on my Westerbeke 58 is a consistent 176-179F.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 14:16   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

My diesel operates at 180F.
Old 13-09-2018, 14:40   #5

Depends on what thermostat you have, they make two: 160 & 180.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 14:54   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Mine runs at 180
Old 13-09-2018, 15:03   #7

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolitho View Post
I just got a great deal (Canadian Tire 70% off if you’re Canadian [emoji1303]) on a digital temperature reading. I believe a normal Diesel engine should operate under around 220 Fahrenheit..........is that right ? I have a Westerbeke 27 HP. I’m also wondering what is a healthy operating temp for checking on the cutlass bearing / shaft while cruising ?? Just looking for suggestions and tips not to be berated and yelled at for not knowing already [emoji3]
Mine operates at 180 - Westerbeke 30B3.

Do you have a temp gauge? Once it reaches the operating temp, take readings around some critical points on the engine, exhaust manifold and elbow - write it down for a baseline. If you ever have temp problems in the future, you can take the readings at the same spots to trace/locate the issue.

For the cutlass bearing, I assume you have the traditional bronze one, it should be warm to the touch, not hot - if you go ouch! its too hot and needs adjustment. Touch it (careful with the moving parts if in gear) - and again, take the temp and write it down for a baseline.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 15:15   #8

Most fresh water cooled diesels have a 180F thermostat, raw water cooled ones run a bit cooler, 160F. 220 for coolant temperature? Not possible, or at least not right.

A cutlass bearing should be cool to the touch, no need for a fancy device. A packing gland can be a bit warmer, but not so hot you can't comfortably hold your hand on it.

In general, your new toy will isn't much good at checking temperatures vs hard specifications, but it IS useful at looking for changes from what is "normal" on your boat.

After your engine has been running hard, check the temperature of the transmission, the oil pan, the exhaust manifold, and the exhaust elbow. Record those for comparison in the future. Look for hot spots behind your electrical panel. Temperatures of refrigeration compressors while they are running. Electric motors that get used a lot. Nobody can really tell you what is "right" but you can see if things have changed.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 15:27   #9

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Your cutlass bearing typically is underwater..... think you are referring to the stuffing box.

My first boat had a Westerbeke 30 that ran at 180. My Yanmar 3HM35f ran at 165 and my new Yanmar 4JH4E runs at about the same at 165.....
My traditional stuffing box on last boat was cool to touch.... this boat is a Volvo dripless and it really is perfect (so far) and is just a rubber boot that I grease once a year and no water comes out.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 05:52   #10

The manufacturer can tell you the correct operating temperature for your engine. They vary. Getting an average from everyone else really tells you nothing useful about what the operating temperature of YOUR engine should be.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 10:18   #11

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The manufacturer can tell you the correct operating temperature for your engine. They vary. Getting an average from everyone else really tells you nothing useful about what the operating temperature of YOUR engine should be.
No offence, but I think its perfectly valid to place these type of questions to the forum, after all, this is a forum right? Right or wrong, why not?
You get a bunch of responses and then its up to the OP to take the necessary action.

It does not bother me at all, and BTW, I only reply if I can be of help to the OP, to express my own opinion like this its very rare....
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 10:25   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Depends also on whether you are using raw water, or a heat exchanger. If you are in fresh water or using a heat exchanger and coolant, you can run hot, as hot as the engine maker specifies. (For instance, 170F might be normal but some engines go to 210F.) Sometimes if you ask a parts counter, there's only one rated thermostat for the engine. Other times, there's a choice.

But with SALT water cooling, you get salts condensing out of the water at about 140F, so you don't want to run ANY engine on raw salt water above 140F. That's inefficient, but better than having the cooling passages blocked up with "concrete" of salts.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 10:26   #13

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Yanmar 3ym30 is 158
Look on Mainsail's Marinehowto for typical temps of engines and good locations to record temp.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 20:39   #14

SV Tatia called it..........it’s called a “forum”.......as in a place where discussions are had....ideas.....experiences.......tips.......sugg estions.......to say getting an average temperature of other similar sized diesels isn’t useful is just being difficult.......

Thanks to everyone who responded [emoji106]
Old 14-09-2018, 20:51   #15

Rgleason........I checked out that article on Marine How To.........AWESOME article ........ http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/engine_temp

Thanks