Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 11:03   #16

Boat: Norsea 27
Re: Oars for a 27 ft sailboat?

I had a friend that had a constant battle with motors. He indeed rigged his Buccaneer with oars for getting in and out of the marina. I think they were 10 footers and he stowed them on the stays. It's tough when you get close to the dock, being twenty feet wide.

Barry
rocksculpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 05:50   #17

Boat: contessa 32

Before purchasing a Bay Hen ,a 900# sharpie ,I asked the Florida builder to incorporate some row locks into the coaming ; he thought it was the most absurd thing he had ever heard so i never got them but still believe its was feasible.Got the boat tho and still have her on her trailer. I'll put her back in the the water when I become too feeble for anything larger..........after that I would like to be buried in her with the mast as headstone.....or maybe a Viking funeral !!!
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 06:34   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

You definitely can. You need long oars (or oar, if you scull).

Top of the winch may be not all that practical. Add oarlocks where you find the best support/location is.

Most people I know will row facing fore.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 06:34   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Wouldn't a bracket and a 4hp outboard for $500 be the simplest way? just make sure the prop is well below the hull for maximum propulsion so probably a long shaft engine. Not very environmentally friendly, but it will get you home in time for last orders.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 06:55   #20

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Oars for a 27 ft sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Wouldn't a bracket and a 4hp outboard for $500 be the simplest way? just make sure the prop is well below the hull for maximum propulsion so probably a long shaft engine. Not very environmentally friendly, but it will get you home in time for last orders.

Pete
The folks I know or heard about using scull power didn't have the two 90 degree doglegs to negotiate. Fix the engine or follow Pete's suggestion. As soon as it becomes too much trouble, and it soon will, there will be another neglected boat in a marina. Only wind and advice are free.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 07:21   #21

I have a handmade 6 meter yuloh for my 29 ft. 8 ton gaffrig cutter. I`d suggest an electronic outboard for starters. Yulohs are for heavier boats and oars are for lighter ones (like yours) in my opinion. Oars give you better maneuverability in tight quarters whereas the yuloh is move for moving forward. Yulohs aren`t difficult, just unusual. The Pardey`s (better sailors than I) use an oar and get by with it. My boat is very similiar to theirs in dimensions, but a yuloh is better for me.
Boat Alexander is basically right about the yuloh. You have to do your research to build one just right. Junkrig sailing websight is a great start. He who runs the sight helped me build one and answered my thousand questions patiently. Also look at it on youtube under "yuloh chinese waterways" more than once. They are definitely conversation pieces at G&T time. I`ll email you my information if you want it, but try an electric outboard for starters.
AMph. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat