Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 18:50   #16

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
This type is the best for non-electrical pumps, comes in different sizes.
These are a pain, they work but the hoses fling oil everywhere and they have a limited fluid capacity after using one for a few years . I spent $130.00 online and purchased a shurflo flexvane 3000-350. It has a reversing switch long leads and is a breeze to use.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 19:11   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Oil Change Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
This type is the best for non-electrical pumps, comes in different sizes.
I use this sort also. Love it, works a treat, plus you can use it to suck water from the bilge and out of little hard to get places. Have not found it particularly difficult to use either.

A few neighbouring boats have borrowed it from time to time and love it too.

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 19:29   #18

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

The canister type above does work well. The JAbsco? Not so much. It works, but I wouldn't call it great. Doesn't inspire one to change oil IMHO
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 20:58   #19

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

AAH I missed the days when I had Large fuel tanks, and could add the old oil to them and just burn it up!! But most boats rarely have large enough tanks to do this!! But if ya do thats the simplest way I know of to rid yourself of the old oil! Just my 2 cents
Old 12-11-2013, 21:17   #20

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
AAH I missed the days when I had Large fuel tanks, and could add the old oil to them and just burn it up!! But most boats rarely have large enough tanks to do this!! But if ya do thats the simplest way I know of to rid yourself of the old oil! Just my 2 cents
Hi Bob,
Want to elaborate?
Prior cleaning? Max percent which can be added? Depend on the grade of diesel?
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 22:25   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I have heard of the practice, but have a real problem with the idea of taking oil I am replacing because of the soot, small metal particles, and other pollutants and having it run thru fuel injectors that have incredibly tight tolerances.

Most engines will run it, but it seems like incredibly false economy.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 04:39   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

In the six months I'm out in the winter I usually do one or two oil changes. I buy the oil in gallon jugs and decant it into gasoline jerry jugs. I did this after finding that the original gallon jugs are too thin (Shell Rotella) and having new oil leak into the lazarette twice was enough for me so the new oil now goes into thick, strong, 2 gallon gasoline jugs. The original jugs got a bit crimped and leaked. The jugs were in plastic Rubbermaid tubs but the oil leaked through these too. The old oil is put into 2 gallon gasoline jugs and disposed of when we get back to the boatyard.
Old 13-11-2013, 05:58   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
I have used one of these hand powered vaccum systems for years and very pleased wih it. Similar in concept to the other one posted.

You first draw a vaccum by hand in the system then open the valve and let it do its thing. Oil is stowed neatly and cleanly in the canister. Handy for sucking up other gunk too like contaminated bilge water.

http://www.airpoweramerica.com/index.php?a=5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mp sales sheet with app pic cropped tigher.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	70279  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 06:23   #24

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I have been using one of these Jabsco hand pumps for 15 years now.
Works great and is small and stowable.

I tried one of those on our first diesel. Sucked. Well, actually, it didn't suck.

ZB, there are also some systems that use an electric drill to spin up a vacuum...

In any case, it helps to get the oil really hot before extracting. And then at that point our filters are too hot for comfortable handling, so I usually do the job spread over a couple days. Extract one day (including genset and gears), change filters and refill the next day or so...

-Chris
Old 13-11-2013, 07:14   #25

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
In any case, it helps to get the oil really hot before extracting. And then at that point our filters are too hot for comfortable handling, so I usually do the job spread over a couple days. Extract one day (including genset and gears), change filters and refill the next day or so...

-Chris
Yes, that is the technique the mechanic suggested to avoid getting oil all over the place. He said to run the engine at night around dinner, let it cool slightly, then drain overnight. Then change the filter the next day.

He said that was the only clean way to get most of the oil out of the oil filter given the configuration of the oil filter on the engine.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 07:31   #26

Boat: csy 37

i've used the little jabsco hand pump and it works, but it's slow and messy. i also used the little electric drill powered pump and that works too, but it's even messier.

i'm now up to the hand pumped vacuum tank. west marine has them in two sizes, 3 and 5 quart, i think. it works well and helps contain the mess.

friend of mine found another use for the vacuum extractor. he has a hunter 34. the diesel tank is low down and not easily accessible. he thought he had water in the tank so he used the extractor to take samples from the bottom. didn't find water but did find some sediment.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 09:04   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
I also have one of the little Jabsco hand pumps and I do on occassion find uses for it, I've also found it slow and messy for oil changes. The hoses develop a mind of their own and the rubber end cap seals sometimes need some hand pressure to keep them from leaking...so you need about 4 hands to do the job. I've seen some fixed installations of them for oil and fridge drainage...should be less unruly when mounted securely with hoses secured too.

With the vaccum pump, I warm up the engine a bit (not full operating temp but just enough to reduce viscosity of the oil), connect the vaccum pump and let it do its thing, then come back when it is done and change filter. Usually I have to drawn down more vaccum on the pump during the process.

Don't over fill the version I posted, because liquid in container will get up into the vaccum pump. Oil just makes a bit of a mess, but water will corrode pump parts. A check valve and non corrosive parts would be a good improvement. Spare parts are available though.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 10:14   #28

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

The way I extract eight quarts in ten seconds (shooting out like a fire hose) is to drain after using the engine, at full operating temperature.

The hot oil has no effect on the gear head oil drain pump.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 11:31   #29

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Plus one on the vacuum pumps pictured a couple of times above. Have used one for years with great results.

I just saw this little 12-volt electric pump online a couple of months ago. Bought it and have used it once to change the oil in my wife's car. It worked pretty darn well, and it is cheaper and a bit easier to store:

Oil Fuel Diesel Extractor Scavenge Suction Transfer Pump 12V DC 5A Motor Hoses | eBay
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 12:33   #30

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Yes, that is the technique the mechanic suggested to avoid getting oil all over the place. He said to run the engine at night around dinner, let it cool slightly, then drain overnight. Then change the filter the next day.

He said that was the only clean way to get most of the oil out of the oil filter given the configuration of the oil filter on the engine.

FWIW, even the straight gravity drain on our diesel tractor wants full operating temp so oil is viscous enough to flow easily. The boat, even more so since it's being sucked out no matter what gravity thinks about it.

Of course "let it cool slightly" so you don't actually burn your hands could be a good thing, too and that'd be something to watch especially with the various manual devices, in case an errant hose gets away from you for a minute...

-Chris

Tags
oil, oil change