Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2010, 08:38   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Oil Change Frequency

Almost time for winter haulout. I changed the oil and filter last year when I hauled out. Since then the boat will have motored about 100 hours since then. 95% of this is underway under 30-70% load and I always run the engine to temperature when I run it with once in while pushing it up to full load a while to blow it out. Engine has 2000 hours total on it.

I'm trying to decide if I really need to change the oil at haulout this year. My Yanmar manual says change every 300 or 500 hours (can not remember which at the moment). Now I accept the answer of "it's a good ideal" but is it really needed? I don't burn any oil and the oil looks the same as when I put it in last year.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 08:50   #2

Boat: CHEOY LEE, GW42, 42', BELLISSIMA
Diesels are precision pieces of equipment and cost lots of $$$$$$. Acids build up in the oil as well as contaminants even after only 100 hours. If you don't change the oil they can work on the engine during the winter. So, change the oil. And, at the same time change the oil in the transmission. This preventive maintenance will pay for itself over time. A re-power is mucho expensive. best regards, bb
bill brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 08:56   #3

Boat: Allures 44
Here's my understanding: after 100 hours you don't need to worry about the oil breaking down, nor particle contamination. The oil will continue to lubricate just fine.

However, there is now moisture in your lubrication system from combustion, condensation, etc. The reason to change the oil is to discourage corrosion during the long winter layup.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 09:00   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Oil is cheaper than an engine re-build. I always changed it, and the filter, before laying up the boat. It'd be like putting a baby to bed with a dirty diaper if I didn't.
Old 21-10-2010, 09:03   #5

Boat: CHEOY LEE, GW42, 42', BELLISSIMA
A quote from "Marine Diesel Engines", Nigel Calder, page 66: "Change the oil and oil filter at the beginning of the winter, not the end. The used oil will contain harmful acids and contaminants that should not be allowed to go to work on the engine all winter long. Change the transmission oil at the same time." regards, bb
bill brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 09:04   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
... My Yanmar manual says change every 300 or 500 hours (can not remember which at the moment) ...
Check your manual. I think you'll find it specifies an oil change:

Replace first •• after initial 50 hours
Second time and thereafter •• every 250 hours (1 year)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 14:58   #7
CLOD

Boat: none
I wonder if I took the winter lay-up part out and said that I had 100 hours this year; whether people would still sauy the oil should be changed?

I'm not disagreeing that it is a good thing, just wonder whether it really makes any engine difference. Or is it one of those things that are more to make you feel good about your maintenance than whether they really make a positive impact. If 1 is cruising do they change the oil every 100 hours or 1 year?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 03:08   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
If 1 is cruising do they change the oil every 100 hours or 1 year?
I do what the book says and that (for my 4JH3E 56hp) is once per 300 hours.
My last change was in Turkey 200 hours ago. Now I have sorlar panels I am not wracking up the hours much that was 3,000nms ago on June 2nd.
My next change in 100 hours might not be for quite a while!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, love those solar panels!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 05:54   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I do what the book says and that (for my 4JH3E 56hp) is once per 300 hours.
My last change was in Turkey 200 hours ago. Now I have sorlar panels I am not wracking up the hours much that was 3,000nms ago on June 2nd.
My next change in 100 hours might not be for quite a while!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, love those solar panels!
Mark,

I've been changing my oil every 150 hours. Same 4JH3E. Maybe I read the manual wrong. Manuals on the boat I'm still in Toronto, are you sure it says 300 hours?
Old 25-10-2010, 06:02   #10

Boat: Stormwind 40 cutter rigged steel ketch
Quote:
I wonder if I took the winter lay-up part out and said that I had 100 hours this year; whether people would still sauy the oil should be changed?
If I recall it correclty, my Volvo manual recommends oil change after every 200 hours or at least once a year.

With modern oils (if that is what you are using), you might be able to extend the hours quite a lot within a single season without taking major risks with the engine, however, before winter oils should be changed for the reasons stated by Bill Brown in the above discussion.
Heikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 06:20   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Mark,

I've been changing my oil every 150 hours. Same 4JH3E. Maybe I read the manual wrong. Manuals on the boat I'm still in Toronto, are you sure it says 300 hours?
Hmmmmmmm.

Rick............

There seems to be a misprint!

It actually does say "oil should be replaced after every 150 hours"
I've never seen that part (because its under the initial service section and mine was second hand)
Then in the next section for 300 hours it says change filters... and later mentions change oil in the 300 hr service.
But I'm sure my Yanmar guy said 300 hours.... and why do an oil change if its just going to be gunked by an old filter?

It might be one point to you, Rick!!!

Below I have attached page, also with the page about Impellor change at 1,000 hours I think we've discussed before.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08217.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	20490   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08218.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	20491  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 06:20   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I do one year 250 hours. I never get to 250 hours.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 06:35   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hmmmmmmm.

Rick............

There seems to be a misprint!

It actually does say "oil should be replaced after every 150 hours"
I've never seen that part (because its under the initial service section and mine was second hand)
Then in the next section for 300 hours it says change filters... and later mentions change oil in the 300 hr service.
But I'm sure my Yanmar guy said 300 hours.... and why do an oil change if its just going to be gunked by an old filter?

It might be one point to you, Rick!!!

Below I have attached page, also with the page about Impellor change at 1,000 hours I think we've discussed before.

Mark
Mark,

Yeah that seems right. I guess they think the filter will last 300 hours. I do both every 150 hours. Actually I would have gladly switched to 300 hours if that was the correct period.
Old 25-10-2010, 06:40   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
As my old mechanics teacher preached every day "Oil is thee life blood of any engine". Comparing the same model engine side by side means nothing. Engine condition does. Take ten diesel engines of the same make, model, year and total hours and run them 100 hours then test the oil and you'll have ten different results. Put them in ten different sail boats under the command of ten different captains and run them 100 hours and the test results will vary even more. Engines, especially diesels like to be run. This is not always the case on many boats where they can sit for extended periods of time. Oil changing is one of the cheapest preventive maitenance aspects of owning a boat. When in doubt just change it.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 07:04   #15

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
There are a number of reasons to use good synthetic oil in a diesel instead of regular oil. It is worth it in the long haul.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil change