Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2020, 11:39   #16

Boat: Hunter 30
Re: Oil Dipstick Tube Transfer Pump

I use one of these and a 2 liter coke bottle as a catcher. https://www.amazon.com/DasMarine-Ext...s%2C191&sr=8-5
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 13:46   #17

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

My vote goes for the vaccum pump, the hand pump on my beta 38 leaked from the start Beta gave me a new one and it leaked also. Vaccum is easy.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 14:34   #18

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Do it with the engine warm. Hot oil is lower viscosity. We have a Banjo fitting in our oil drain and an electric pump. This drains our 3 gallon sump in just a couple minutes.
that's true, but the problem with warming the oil is that some oil stays spread around the engine, and so you don't get it all out.

if you have a pump that can handle it, cold is best

cheers,
Old 27-10-2020, 15:30   #19

Boat: Noelex 25 (Its a Trailer Sailer) Plus a Clipper 34

Thanks for the topic as I have been using an extraction 6 litre pump for my Lehman 120. Works well warm or cold.
Old 27-10-2020, 15:33   #20

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
that's true, but the problem with warming the oil is that some oil stays spread around the engine, and so you don't get it all out.

if you have a pump that can handle it, cold is best

cheers,
Not really the case. The oil is thinner and drains pretty quickly. After pumping the oil out I swap oil filters. By the time I pump a second time any residual oil has drained. More importantly, the oil has been circulated and coated everything. After refilling the startup of the engine has to fill the oil filter before the new oil is circulated. During those few seconds all the wearing parts still have a film of oil from the warm up run. Less wear than a cold start with no oil in the engine.

You will never get all of the old oil out.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 15:36   #21

Boat: Yankee 30'

I have a fancy set up on my M25 Unversal. Reversible electric vane pump permanently mounted and plumbed to a Y tap on the dipstic tube on one side, long coiled airbrake tubing on the other (capped when not in use). As long as the dipstick is in, I can pump out the oil into an empty oil jug and then get the fresh oil in from a full jug reversing the pump. Very clean and easy. Bonus is being able to fine tuen the oil level after running the engine, in or out.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 11:47   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

I have tried one of those cheap electric, china build pumps. Hot oil made it leak and I trashed it. Back to the WM vacuum pump. I have a small one on the boat and large one in the dock box. The problem is that it never creates a strong enough vacuum for you to stop pumping and have the oil drain a reasonable amount. Basically I have to constantly pump to drain I quart in about 20 minutes. My engine holds 6quarts! Good exercise but hard work for an older guy..?! I believe that if I could get the pump located below the engine it may build up enough vacuum to drain all the oil by itself after maybe 10-15 pumps. But not possible on my Beneteau 461.
Any advice is very much appreciate.
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:03   #23

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

I use this Jabsco impeller 12V pump for multiple boat needs, including oil change, for years. Also for diesel transfer, pumping water from corners of the bilge compartments etc. (When shore voltage isn’t available for the mighty little shop-vac.

Jabsco 23680-4003 Water Puppy Pump Bronze Commercial Duty 12 Volt Boat Plumbing Item https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009SO3VRI..._5bXMFb7KJYQH6
Old 29-10-2020, 12:42   #24

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbreit View Post
I have tried one of those cheap electric, china build pumps. Hot oil made it leak and I trashed it. Back to the WM vacuum pump. I have a small one on the boat and large one in the dock box. The problem is that it never creates a strong enough vacuum for you to stop pumping and have the oil drain a reasonable amount. Basically I have to constantly pump to drain I quart in about 20 minutes. My engine holds 6quarts! Good exercise but hard work for an older guy..?! I believe that if I could get the pump located below the engine it may build up enough vacuum to drain all the oil by itself after maybe 10-15 pumps. But not possible on my Beneteau 461.
Any advice is very much appreciate.

I have at Attwood vacuum oil change pump. Five quart capacity. It has a vacuum release valve on it so it is easy to stop the flow when it's near full. The oil can be drained out through the same hose that the oil is sucked out of by removing the vacuum release valve - just don't tilt the tank too far or the oil will come out the extra hole. I don't remember where I bought it but at the time it was a lot cheaper than the marine stores. My engine also takes six quarts of oil and takes two iterations to empty the sump.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 09:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
I was changing my oil today and could not pump the oil out of the Beta Marine using the hand pump on the engine. I found this $20 oil transfer drill pump at Home Depot that is all setup to suck the oil out using the oil dipstick tube. It worked great for me. Note put some drops of vegetable or olive oil in the intake part of the pump first. Also don't run the drill for more than 15 seconds when not pumping any fluids.

Everbilt Drill Pump 1000 026 322

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...3-HD/204667248
I used one of those for a season or two but found the plastic male threads on the pump leaked and after a few uses were not strong enough to hold the hose in place if there was any sideways pull on the hose. I switched to the electric transfer pump where I can hoseclamp the tubes to the pump. I don’t like the vacuum pumps because you have to drain and then store a large container. Where I moor you dispose of the old oil by leaving it in its container at a disposal site. You don’t get the container back, so you’d have to first decant from the vacuum pump to a disposable container. Not very convenient and prone to mishap.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 10:06   #26

I've had permanent pumps mounted from the sump, engine pumps that come on engines, pumps on drills etc.
By far the easiest and cleanest is those hand vacuum pumped units that hold the old oil etc.
I prefer it over the expensive permanent installation with an oil gear pump even.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...waAsbHEALw_wcB

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 13:24   #27

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
I was changing my oil today and could not pump the oil out of the Beta Marine using the hand pump on the engine.
Do you know why the hand pump didn't work? Have you used it before?

It's a great little pump and does a great job of removing oil from the bottom of the oil pan more effectively than most alternatives. This pump is one of the many reasons I like Beta above all other marine diesel engines that I've had over the years.

We have a two-way electric pump plumbed into the oil line for that pump that makes it easy to remove and re-fill oil, the only thing that is more effective than the hand pump.

Here's the procedure for using the Beta hand pump to remove oil, see any step you missed?

1. Open ball valve directly under pump.

2. Unscrew cap from exit tube.

3. Unscrew oil filler cap to prevent vacuum effect

4. Pump handle up and down
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, pump