Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 22:22   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Oil filter installation upsidedown?

Hello,
wanted to ask about my oil filter as per the two attached pics; the previous owner changed the installation to "upsidedown" to make space for the second alternator (black bracket is for the added alt.); is there a possible hazard to the functioning of the filter or oil circulation this way?
The engine is a Perkins Prima M50 with about 6000 hours and appears to be ok so far like this, although I don't know how long it been this way. The other pic is from the Owners handbook.
Anyone seen this before? Anyone can testify this is definitely not good?
Thanks,
Erik
PS. sorry about the dirt, I'm in the middle of maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130603_130209.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	61812   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130603_130456.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	61813  

ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 22:33   #2

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Re: Oil filter installation upsidedown?

Well I don't have experience with this particular model engine but generally no it will not make a difference, it is a pressure fed system and many engines have a a remote filter option. In this case, as I see it it will make for cleaner filter changes.
Old 02-06-2013, 22:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
Well I don't have experience with this particular model engine but generally no it will not make a difference, it is a pressure fed system and many engines have a a remote filter option. In this case, as I see it it will make for cleaner filter changes.
Thanks Glenn,
yes I actually like this way more, easy to change. I'm no expert but I would be tempted to think that the filter would collect unwanted residue and particles in the oil better this way because of gravity?
However, the original setup is as per the Handbook, could it be just to make the setup more compact? So the filter wouldn't stick out?
Old 02-06-2013, 23:03   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

The oil system does not care but you will when you change the oil. Impossible to remove the filter without making a mess. There are filters that have a rubber flap check valve thats stops most of the oil from pouring out but not all. It's a matter of cross referenceing filters to find one that has such a rubber flap. Personally I would switch to a remote filter that you could mount with the messy end up.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 23:10   #5

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

The position of spin-on filters doesn't affect their filtering properties, this is determined by the filter median as oil is forced through it. Although there are centrifugal and gravity filters that do depend on position.

The manual photo is usually just a generic photo and may not be the configuration of the engine as originally installed in your boat. Components/options can vary greatly from on model to the next.
Old 03-06-2013, 00:01   #6

Boat: Westerly Conway 36

I'm not an expert, but I would be worried about air being trapped at the top of the filter after replacement, which would significantly reduce the effective filter area, and consequently require more frequent changes.

Unless you can obtain one of the previously mentioned filters with a rubber flap.

Other than that, and very messy oil changes, the attitude of the filter shouldn't matter.
maersi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 00:10   #7

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
The position of spin-on filters doesn't affect their filtering properties, this is determined by the filter median as oil is forced through it. Although there are centrifugal and gravity filters that do depend on position.

The manual photo is usually just a generic photo and may not be the configuration of the engine as originally installed in your boat. Components/options can vary greatly from on model to the next.
+1 remote it
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:49   #8

Thanks for all your replies guys, I feel better now knowing this current setup is ok for the oil circulation and engine health.

Tags
installation, oil