Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 17:54   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Oil Filter may have killed my engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
This is a good one, although he's kinda wordy.

Off topic but check out his cut-off disc at 4.33...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 19:08   #17

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

As I mentioned in a previous thread, my engine lost oil pressure suddenly. Only had a couple hours after an oil change with a new filter, a NAPA gold, by Wix. Same as I have used for many years. Pressure dropped, removed the sender, screwed in a gauge, verified low pressure. Changed the oil filter and pressure was back up to 60#. Common sense says it was a filter problem, however, will be on guard every time I run the engine now.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:12   #18

Hopefully there was no major damage and it will just run from here out.

But I wouldn't count on the filter manufacturer replacing the engine. Unless you can prove the engine was otherwise in perfect shape, you will have a really difficult time proving it was the filter.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:54   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Oil Filter may have killed my engine

After your first oil change, you need to open up the filter and inspect it for metal.
If there is any the next step is to determine if it’s magnetic or not, and how much there is and particle size.
Hopefully there won’t be any.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:18   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
After your first oil change, you need to open up the filter and inspect it for metal.
If there is any the next step is to determine if it’s magnetic or not, and how much there is and particle size.
Hopefully there won’t be any.
And/Or send an oil sample in for analysis. Would be great if you had a previous one to compare too, but if really bad things have happend then it should show in the analysis.

You say the engine siezed, but now its back up and running pretty easily. What was the mode of failure? Was it actually siezed so that it could not be turned?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:31   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

It sounds like at least two posters have had oil filter problems.

Is there a easy way to check a filter for flow before installing?

Does the presence of pressure PROVE flow?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:42   #22

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
So the latest almost live update is:

Firstly its a Perkins 4.154.

Came up to temperature normally- over a period of about 20 minutes- and held at around 175 degrees, oil pressure is holding at around 20lbs at 1500 revs and rises to about 25 lbs at 1850 revs. Ive been advised to add some Lucas oil stabaliser and give her a good run under load, then change the oil again.
Those oil pressure numbers seem low. Has it always been at these numbers? Idle oil pressure according to the manual should be around 30lbs and 60lbs at max RPMs
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:42   #23

Boat: 44ft mono hull

I've not had an oil analysis previously, but I will send off a sample at the next change. I will now also open up the filter. If there are metal filings present is there any way to tell where they came from?

When I said siezed, we were trotting along at about 1800 rpm when the engine stopped dead. Tried turning her over with the starter (very very briefly) but didn't sound healthy, after 30 minutes tried hand cranking but nothing moving.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:13   #24

Boat: O'Day 40

Why isn't the mechanic stepping up?

In a previous life I was in the service end of the car business. In my dealership, the service department would have taken responsibility for finding the cause and making repairs at our expense.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:47   #25

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Those oil pressure numbers seem low. Has it always been at these numbers? Idle oil pressure according to the manual should be around 30lbs and 60lbs at max RPMs

You beat me to it. I don't have the manual to hand, but I'd have been surprised to see the oil pressure that low.

I think mine ranges from 40-80, and it's got 4500 hours (rebuilt 1970 block; original tach had 6500 hours when I removed it, so I'm guessing that the new hour meter and electronic tach went in with the rebuilt engine)...

But the description doesn't sound like 'seized' - though I couldn't say what would have caused it to stop like that - given that you could turn it over after the event.

Hope it all works out. I've heard of much larger disasters surviving, and the 4-154, the rear main seal excepted, is largely bulletproof. In our 3000 hours of use, I've refreshed both the injectors and the injector pump but otherwise it's been maintenance free (regular oil changes excepted, of course). As to oil changes, give the amount which comes out the rear seal, likely I could go longer between changes!
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:50   #26

get another mechanic that BS

call your insurance company and have them send out a surveyor, you probably wiped the bearings
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:03   #27

Boat: 44ft mono hull

I'm using 15w 40 oil, if I upped the viscosity to 30w would that increase the pressure?
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:10   #28

Boat: O'Day 40

No. 15W40 is designed to be as thin as 15 weight cold and thick as 40 weight hot. You should see better hot pressure with 15W40
Old 04-05-2018, 09:31   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
So this is a general question to see if anyone else has had this problem, or how I should (maybe) approach the manufacturer.

I had a load of work done on my engine, that also involved an oil and oil filter change.

Started the engine back up and she got up to temperature in about five minutes (which wasn't normal), and then when out for a motor the engine seized in about fifteen minutes. The mechanic has now got her turning over by hand and the oil pump is pumping, but there is no oil getting through the filter. On taking the filter off it was only about a quarter full (when compared to another new filter). When we poured new oil down the outside holes it doesn't percolate through

The mechanic thinks that there is an issue inside the filter that was stopping the oil circulating, so its either clogged with something or blocked within.

So the question is what should I do? If I cut the filter open to see inside and there is an issue will the manufacture stand up and take the hit, or do I talk to them direct and potentially send it off for them to inspect and take their word for it?

All thought and advice welcome!
I doubt the filter was bad. I would hazard a guess that was installed with a missing or damaged seal.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:09   #30

Boat: ODAY 28

had a bad napa fuel filter that I installed on a universal m25, It was bad right out of the box, several bleed attempts no help. after installing another new napa filter engine ran fine, never heard of a bad filter but I guess it happens
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, oil, oil filter