Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2016, 20:57   #1

Oil fouled air cleaner

The PCV system in my circa 80's pathfinder 4 cyl diesel (a marinized VW golf engine) consists of a 1/2" breather hose running from the top of the valve cover to the air intake. There is a baffle at the valve cover fitting (and perhaps some mesh filter? I haven't had the valve cover off so can't say for sure).

There is enough blow-by now that the air filter is being fouled with oil and needs cleaning or replacing after a hundred hours or so. The engine otherwise runs fine and doesn't burn oil or coolant and I don't want to rebuild it and hopefully reduce the blow-by.

What I would like to do is introduce some sort of filter or oil separator into the breather hose that would take the oil out of air before it gets to the air filter. I have checked google, Lordco, Napa etc. and nobody seems to have such an animal. Any suggestions? I have looked at a oil filler cap with a small filter on top to which a PCV valve can be inserted, but the filter looks very small and llikely to plug up quickly.

Any suggestions appreciated.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 21:04   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Oil fouled air cleaner

I do believe that you are looking for an oil catch can, flea bay has thousands of them, in a range of qualities and prices.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 21:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I do believe that you are looking for an oil catch can, flea bay has thousands of them, in a range of qualities and prices.
I think you may be right. Thanks.
The ones I can find on Ebay all seem designed for high performance cars. Does anybody know if there is a marine version? Does anybody have any experience using one of these catch cans on their boat??
Old 20-10-2016, 22:05   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I dont know that engine but is it possible to replumb the breather so it enters air intake after the air-cleaner? Thats how its plumbed on my Yanmar which has savage blowby. Or else change your air filter to an oiled foam type. I'm assuming it has a paper type element.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 22:10   #5

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Or you can chance the airfilter to a wet filter
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 22:22   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
I think you may be right. Thanks.
The ones I can find on Ebay all seem designed for high performance cars. Does anybody know if there is a marine version? Does anybody have any experience using one of these catch cans on their boat??
Marine means expensive. The heavy duty plastic versions can be fitted to any engine relatively easily, without the marine price tag.
Or as suggested re-plumb the vent to after the filter. The only downside to this is that any oily residue will end up coating the inlet tract of the engine, whereas a catch can will eliminate most of it.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 22:30   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Marine means expensive. The heavy duty plastic versions can be fitted to any engine relatively easily, without the marine price tag.
Or as suggested re-plumb the vent to after the filter. The only downside to this is that any oily residue will end up coating the inlet tract of the engine, whereas a catch can will eliminate most of it.
Oily residue in air intake doesnt seem to be an issue in my YSM8 & as I said it has savage blowby but you may save oil with the catch-can. I cant comment on that as have never used one or heard of them till just now. Learn something new everyday but I probably forget 2 things
Old 20-10-2016, 22:36   #8

And further along the intake path are your intake valve stems. Introducing an oily air charge at this juncture equates to an accumulation of a sooty hard crust at the intake valve. The next stop is the combustion chamber and piston tops. So the whole deal becomes progressive and unhealthy for your engine.

You would be able to build your own if so inclined.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 22:58   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
And further along the intake path are your intake valve stems. Introducing an oily air charge at this juncture equates to an accumulation of a sooty hard crust at the intake valve. The next stop is the combustion chamber and piston tops. So the whole deal becomes progressive and unhealthy for your engine.

You would be able to build your own if so inclined.
Not so sure about that, cant see any difference with whats occuring & a 2 stroke engine which has oil in the fuel or squirted into air intake. Some truck operators mix filtered used engine oil in their diesel fuel.In some ways it may be an advantage to have added lubrication but granted probably increases carbon buildup
Old 20-10-2016, 23:10   #10

Quote:
I am leaning towards making one. Most of the car versions have a 1/4"inlet and won't handle the volume of air from my high compression diesel. The large capacity ones are $2-300.00 which seems excessive.

The easiest way to make one appears to be to use an inline fuel filter with a paper cartridge. I assume if it can water from fuel it can separate oil from air??

Again, anybody used and/or made/bought one of these???
Old 20-10-2016, 23:24   #11

The continued fouling on the valve components such as guides and sealing surfaces, again, is not healthy for the engine and can lead to altered valve duration events and the dreaded stuck valve.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 08:55   #12

Boat: Moody, Custom 58 Cutter

After 31 years and 2 VW diesel marine conversions, the second of which is still going strong at 11,000 hours the following.

Both engines burped a bit of oil vapor from the crank case breather hose onto the air filter after 100 or so hours, leaving a 4" oil spot, but never coated the whole air filter.

The VW USA engine rebuilder in Lakefield, Illinois advised me not to modify the breather hose, stating VW diesels have some crankcase back pressure under normal operation and that the enlarged aluminum oil pan employed with the Pathfinder Marine Conversion may make matters a bit worse.

Based on my experience, I don't think I'd worry too much.
Aeolus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:03   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you insert a catch can into the existing hose, you are not really modifying it.
All a catch can is is a can with two hose connections on the top, upon entering any liquid will drop to the bottom of the can and air and vapor will continue on thru.
An oil separator is a little more complex, usually it's just a labyrinth that the oil vapor goes thru, but sometimes its nothing more than a catch can with steel wool in it.

Excessive blow by is of course an indicator of possibly worn rings or glazed cylinder walls.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
I dont know that engine but is it possible to replumb the breather so it enters air intake after the air-cleaner? Thats how its plumbed on my Yanmar which has savage blowby. Or else change your air filter to an oiled foam type. I'm assuming it has a paper type element.
Compass got it right,connect the pcv hose coming out of valve cover & plum it into intake & that works. ...just make sure it's big enough. .they do that with cars all day
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:43   #15

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

I remember something about those engines running away with own lube oil. Connection? Had a 671 with extreme blowby Ran hose down to 5 gal pail. switched pails when full and just poured it back in the crank . Haywire but no big deal and worked until I could rebuild.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil