Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2016, 15:39   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Oil Pressure switch

I am trying to get things sold even though my departure date is somewhere in the indeterminate future. I have a Miller Bobcat Welder that has its own generator. 1995 version with about 675 hours on it. Gas Onan generator. Has not run in about ten years. I charged up the battery. put on my spark tester and found that it had spark. Sprayed a bit of quick start and boom it started and ran. The gas tank has no cap on it and I have no idea of the condition so I took a mason jar added a small amount of gas to it and there is no gas getting to the carb. It has a Nikki brand vacuum pump. Studied up on it and they have a tendency to cause problems. I am think of changing it to an electric fuel pump. I don't know if the generator or the welder work so the idea of rebuilding the pump is attractive but I can't find any rebuild kits.

I plan on wiring the pump to the oil pressure switch. The oil pressure switch is two prong with the letters O ( I assume Open) and NO ( I assume Normally Open) there are the letters NC inscribed on the plastic but no electrical prong. I am thinking that I would install a 2 psi pump and block off the vacuum line. In order to do this I plan on changing to a three prong switch and have the pump fed 12vdc from the starter and also the switch. Does anyone see a problem with doing this? Yes I will fuse the positive line to the pump. Also are there different values for the amount of pressure an oil switch will tolerate?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 17:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Oil Pressure switch

Ordinary oil pressure switches activate when pressure arrives; there is little problem of too much pressure on the switch. It's a good welder, and the parts you need, like a gas cap, are generic, available at an auto parts store. Why change the type of fuel pump? Save yourself potential problems and repair it according to Miller.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil