Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 12:13   #16

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar
Re: Oil Pressure Warning Light Works, Pressure Gauge Shows Zero

I like DougR's suggestion of a mechanical gauge. I've got the same engine without a pressure gauge, just the light and alarm. I've been thinking that I'd like to install a gauge but haven't quite gotten into it yet. I don't have a temperature gauge either and I think I'd install both at the same time. But a mechanical gauge and checking pressure at different rpms would give me a lot more confidence before installing and wiring an electrical one.

I also have the shop manual for that engine if it would help.

Bill
Old 06-01-2015, 14:33   #17

Boat: Albin Nova 33
Re: Oil Pressure Warning Light Works, Pressure Gauge Shows Zero

Forgive me if this is been pointed out already, but it takes a different kind of sensor to serve a gauge than to power a warning light.. The warning light sensor is just a switch; the gauge sensor is kind of rheostat.

So if your dummy lights work and your gauge doesn't the problem may lie with either the gauge itself or the sensor that drives it. There's clearly no problem with the sensor that drives the warning light.

Yanmar sensors are pricey. You could use an automotive sensor instead, but they use American (NPT) threads, while Yanmars use the British standard (BSP). Adapters are available: Google Pegasis Automotive to find them. They sell them to Mazda owners looking to add a gauge to their cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GregSteimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 03:40   #18

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Am posting this inquiry as a separate thread as nobody so far has attempted to address this particularly relevant issue.

Wondering what folks think about the fact that the oil pressure warning light on my diesel seem to be working but the oil pressure gauge reads zero? There are two warning lights: they, and an alarm, indicate that there is a low battery charge and low oil pressure when the ignition is turned on. This seems normal, as in an older automobile.

Then, when the diesel engages. the warning lights, and alarm, go off and do not go on again as long as the engine is running. This would suggest that the warning lights are working and that the engine actually has sufficient, if perhaps a bit low, oil pressure and that the charging system has sufficient amps.

If my oil pump is actually working the diesel is getting oil, and the compression is not critically low, I can worry about the gauge functioning later. Right now, I need to confidently run the engine to charge my batteries and move to a place where I can dive the hull.

All advice greatly appreciated.

G2L
As per the above, I found a manual aboard for the engine, and, as suggested by some of you, the manual indicates that the original panel for the boat had only warning lights, no senders. This helps clarify the situation, and all warning systems seem to be working. Got a knocking sound, however, which I will be discussion soon, in another thread. Thanks to everyone for your help.
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil