Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2024, 09:05   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Oil underneath Yanmar 2GM20

I was replacing my fuel filters recently and noticed some oil drops on the absorbent pad below my engine. There was also some oil, not much, on the bottom of the engine towards the transmission. No oil towards the front of the engine. What would be the most likely source of the oil? Thanks!
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 09:18   #2

Re: Oil underneath Yanmar 2GM20

Wipe it clean and observe it for wetness or drips for a week or two. Find the drip with toilet paper dabbing lightly underneath the oil pan, but then look for the highest wet location, nut the lowest! That may tell you something.
A small amount of oil can look worse than it is though.
It sounds though like you may have a rear main seal dripping from your stated location. It's not transmission oil? Hard to say on the Yanmar I guess as the tranny used engine oil doesn't it?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 12:59   #3

Boat: Compass 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Hard to say on the Yanmar I guess as the tranny used engine oil doesn't it?

I agree with all you said except that part: the engine oil will be black while the transmission oil will look like new.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 13:43   #4

Boat: Islander Bahama 30

The transmission uses its own oil. The leaking oil is definitely engine oil, very black. I’m going to do as advised, clean it up, also change the oil and then see where it’s leaking from.
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 14:41   #5

First check the dipstick, maybe the front and rear crank shaft seals too but the sneakiest oil leak of all on yanmar 2 and 3GM’s is the oil feed pipe that runs from the front left side of the engine near the oil filter , along to ..and under ….the starter motor then up to the cylinder head to lubricate the rocker gear. The 3GM pipe continues to the RH side front of the engine and has 2 more connections. On your engine the most likely place for that fragile unpainted thin wall tube to fail is behind the starter motor and it usually begins as a tiny weep…. of dark engine oil , and progresses to a jet of engine oil a few weeks later in the worst case scenario. First check the banjo bolt connections.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 16:38   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachduckworth View Post
The transmission uses its own oil. The leaking oil is definitely engine oil, very black. I’m going to do as advised, clean it up, also change the oil and then see where it’s leaking from.
I'd be inclined to leave the oil change until you have located the leak. The darker the oil, the easier it is to find and you may have to drain the oil to repair the leak. No point is draining near new oil.

Skipperpete is on the money about the external oil feed pipe. It is a common problem and almost impossible to see unless you know it is there.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:34   #7

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Clean the engine with Simple Green. Then run for awhile and look for the leak.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, oil, yanmar