Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2022, 13:07   #16

Re: Old Oil ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
The oil is almost certainly ok, but oil and engine specifications have changed, so using in a new engine could be problematic.

Blackstone Labs, which does used oil tests, bought some old oil off of Ebay and it was still to specification.

Later,
Dan
Here is a link to one of the documents where Blackstone tested old cans of oil from Ebay.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-c...ils-Part-3.pdf

Quote:
Amsoil Super Premium 10W/40 Until I started writing this article, I had no idea that Amsoil has been around since 1972. This particular sample came, like all the rest, from a can, so it has to be at least from the mid-’80s(which is when most companies switched to plastic bottles). Even 30+ years ago, Amsoil was pushing 25,000-mile oil changes, and the can even lists a comparison between this oil and regular old petroleum as far as engine temps, flashpoint, oxidation, and lubrication range (unsurprisingly, Amsoil wins in each category!). Modern Amsoil products tend to be heavy on additives and that was true back in the day as well (Figure 9). Just for fun, we compared this oil with a virgin sample of Amsoil 10W/40 that we ran in February 2012 and they look a lot alike. The only difference is in the older oil there’s less of everything: 500 ppm less calcium, and 100-200 ppm less phosphorus and zinc. They used magnesium in this older oil, while the TBN and viscosities were nearly identical.
I would not use the old oil but sell it on Ebay! If I HAD to use the oil for some reason, I would, if the oil matched the engine requirements.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 19:56   #17

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
There are collectors of old gas station items. People who set up complete stations with pumps and store displays. I would expect there would be a market for sealed cans of oil.

Many collectors of many things.

I was only half joking in my earlier post.
This is the thing to do.

It may be worth more than buying a can (jug, now a days) of new oil.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 20:03   #18

It is SM oil, for 2010 and older engines.

I guess it should still be ok. It is not as old as I thought.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil