Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2023, 13:08   #1

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40
Original 1980 MD11 + Saildrive + feathering maxprop, not feathering into forward?

I have a 1980 Dennis Choate 40 IOR sailboat. It has the original Volvo MD11C engine, with a volvo saildrive, and a feathering two-blade maxprop (gen 1). I have spares on hand for my boat an entire spare saildrive as well as prop.

Problem: When in reverse, the prop seems to feather correctly and puts a good quantity of water forward to push the boat aft. However, when I put it in forward, the prop doesn't seem to properly feather any longer. The water appears to be coming mostly out of the sides and slightly aft of the boat. It gives me some forward momentum, but really not a lot, and not very maneuverable with the amount of forward thrust I am receiving as it's not driving enough water over the rudder. This behavior is new.

I tried tossing it back and forth between forward and reverse, and it has not improved.

Suggestions for what to look at, short of getting in the water with it? Currently the water is very cold and there are lots of logs, etc. as well as the presence of a lot of sea lions in my marina.
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, saildrive