Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2022, 14:08   #1

Boat: NordicCruiser
Original Volvo Penta / Perkins filter manufacturer

Hi,

I have tried to find the original manufacturer of the Volvo Penta filters for D1 / D2 Engines which are made by Perkins.

So wether you order a Volvo Penta or a Perkins, the filters are absolutely identical besides the paint.

It looks like to oil filter is similar to a Purflux LS801 which you also can see on a youtube video of a guy splitting the filters apart.

But it appears to be a bit more difficult with the fuel filter 861477.
I'm not sure if this is also a Purflux CS171 for example or if Perkins is producing the filters on it's own plant. I have not found an identical product image on the internet.

Of course there are many replacement filters, but it would be interesting to find the original manufacturer.

Cheers
NordicCruiser
NordicCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 00:41   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Original Volvo Penta / Perkins filter manufacturer

Rarely do engine manufacturers make their own filters. Like starters and alternators, they're made by a specialty company. Usually the products only differ in the color, label and box they come in. The company making filters for an OEM can change over time.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 01:06   #3

Boat: NordicCruiser
Re: Original Volvo Penta / Perkins filter manufacturer

I agree to that, but as I could not find a filter on the web from the other common manufacturers that looked absolutely like the original Volvo Penta or Perkins fuel filter - I found this video:

And as Perkins is a subsidiary of CAT I thought that they may produce them exclusively there.

But as the oil filter is presumingly the same at the Purflux one, it is probably the same for the fuel filter.

Did someone had used a Purflux CS171 in the past and can compare it with the original product picture of Volvo 861477 on the internet?

I have ordered one but it is not yet delivered.
NordicCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, perkins, volvo