Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2016, 16:10   #1

Boat: Nor'star Flicka 20'
Outboard Engine

I have a Flicka 20 that is completing her 3 year restoration. Now its time to purchase an outboard for her. I'm considering the new Tohatsu 9.9 with electric start. I invite all comments/advise.

Thanks,
Kevin S'V Desert Star
DolphinBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 02:45   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Outboard Engine

I have a Nissan 9.8 4-stroke (same engine as Tohatsu, different decals). Extra-long shaft, electric start, 6A alternator, etc. It's about 7 years old now. It has been a rock-solid workhorse. Very fuel-efficient, quiet, and reliable.

I do run Seafoam in my gas all the time just as a precautionary measure. And I pamper the engine with regular oil changes.

Anyway -- just one data point, but I'm very happy with mine.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 04:38   #3

Boat: Sabre 28

Be sure to also check out the Suzuki 9.9B as well. I was originally considering the Tohatsu but decided to go with the Suzuki instead. The Suzuki 9.9 is the same block and displacement as their 20hp outboard so it should have more low end power than the Tohatsu. (20ci vs 12) The Suzuki also has twice the charging capacity (12amp vs 6amp), an actual oil filter on the engine, bigger high thrust prop and it is fuel injected. Because it is fuel injected the engine can output NMEA 2000 data to pass on engine data (RPM, fuel usage, temp) to a chart plotter if desired. Since the fuel system is sealed you won't have evaporation in a carb and no jets to gunk up.

If you want remote control Suzuki is apparently the only company that will sell remote models direct.

The Suzuki is a little bit heavier than the Tohatsu though.

I'm finishing up an install of the Suzuki on my boat and will hopefully have it in the water this week.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 04:56   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think you have made an excellent choice, and with a 20' boat, it ought to be plenty of power, with power to spare

I have a 20 HP Suzuki on my dinghy, and it has been astonishingly reliable, even survived being submerged. I was unaware that the 9.9 Zuk and the 20 were the same engine, I knew the 15 and 20 are.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 05:06   #5

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have a 20 HP Suzuki on my dinghy, and it has been astonishingly reliable, even survived being submerged. I was unaware that the 9.9 Zuk and the 20 were the same engine, I knew the 15 and 20 are.
Glad to hear the Suzuki has been doing so well for you. Suzuki has had a number of versions of the 9.9. The earlier ones were a little bit lower displacement but the 9.9B is the same 20 cubic inch block as the Suzuki 15 and 20hp outboards. Checking the parts catalogs just about everything is the same including throttle body, fuel injectors and so on. Suzuki puts a restrictor plate on the 15 and 9.9hp engines to cut off airflow at high RPM and has different programming in the computer. That really looks to be the only difference between the three HP levels.

http://www.suzukimarine.com/~/media/...Info-View1.pdf

It isn't listed in that brochure but there is a 9.9BTX which is a 25" shaft, remote controls and high thrust prop.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, outboard