Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 09:13   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Doesn't a Roberts 37 have a modified keel? The reason I ask is because there will be a larger penalty moving the center of gravity aft on a modified keel boat than on a boat with a true full keel.

I wouldn't do it. Roberts designed that boat to have the weight of the engine precisely where it is. You'll pay a large price moving that much weight aft and up, even though the boat displaces as much as it does. I realize that it's probably not a great sailing boat as is, but why risk transforming it into something that, whether under sail or under power, only wallows?
Old 02-04-2010, 09:28   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

I ain't done what you are considering, but few will have on your size of vessel as a long term permanent arrangement ..........but depending on your use / the boat sailing capabilities / cruising area why not go for the 9.9 o/b option simply bracket mounted on the stern (with remotes)........and just accept that this will only be providing little more than docking power (on your size of boat certainly not passage making, even without adverse conditions - including prop cavitation).

In time and as budget allows you can drop another inboard in - if you need more engine. In any event for future resale purposes I would at least want the engine room kept available for an inboard, and not as a Hot Tub
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:36   #18

Boat: Roberts 37 - Jacquiline
Re; Bash

Actually the boat sails quite well. We've never been embarrassed against other cruising boats. The helm is not as balanced as I would like. I believe that Roberts modified the design from full keel to a modified keel to correct the helm balance issue. Ours was the previous full keel design. There's 3 tons of ballast in the keel - can't believe that removing 400lbs directly above the aft end of the keel and placing 200lbs on the stern is going to cause a 'wallow'. Still I'm on the fence on this one. I just really like the idea of a self contained easily removable propulsion system. (Motor, water pump, exhaust, prop & shaft etc)
Maisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:43   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
please don't interpret my comments as a slam against your boat. I think the Roberts 37 is a fine cruising yacht, and I'm glad to hear you're restoring one. Clearly, however, the modifications you propose will compromise performance, both under power and sail.

Again, I wouldn't do it.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:48   #20

Re: David -Old-Jersey

You know what....I think you just pushed me over the fence.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:55   #21

Re:

Thanks everyone for your input. I believe that I am going to do both....9.9 high thrust long shaft for the short term. Work on the diesel (which is in my garage) and leave the space under the cockpit to accept the inboard when ready. If I feel the performance with the OB is adequate for my needs long term I'm set.

Really...I just want to go sailing again...it's been too long.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:13   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisso View Post
You know what....I think you just pushed me over the fence.

Oh sh#t! ......hurries off to re-read post............

.........no Hot Tub? Mmmmm, not sure about that
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displacement, outboard