Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 09:28   #1

Boat: Viko S35 & S2 7.3
Outboard motor mount for S2 7.3

Hi !
I am going to redo the outboard mount on S2 7.3 (24ft). And i have few questions:

1. Should I install outboard by center or off center to keep space for possible future wind-vane system? If off-center then how much? I dont have any know and dont know yet what wind vane will I install if will. I have spade ruder so I can install in any position.

2. I would like to have the outboard to have as much as possible close to stern as possible for (a) easier to reach for service/or take off/on when on water. (b) the outboard would not change its position in water too much in rough water with hull pitch movements. Ideally, I could image system like the system where the motor slides down on rails from the my slightly reverse transom. I never see design like that. Does it exist?
Texasvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 09:40   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Outboard motor mount for S2 7.3

1. Off center depends on how far you are able to submerge the outboard drive leg. As the hull rolls while motoring you don’t really want the prop to be lifted out of the water. Centerline eliminates the roll of the hull lifting the outboard clear of the water.

2. Such a system exists (usually made as one offs) using T track and slider cars with a tackle to lift the outboard.
I was going to link to a photo but haven’t found one yet.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 09:57   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

If your outboard is on a mount on the stern, it might be tough to also have wind vane autopilot.

My bracket is adjustable and has 4 slots. The photos show it all the way down and all the way up then raised and tied

I usually leave the marina and go out most of the creek while raising sails with it all the way up.

If I'm out in the bay or ocean and using it, I usually have it on the 3rd hole down out of 4

It usually stays in the water most times......Old video, not real clear but shows the waves and engine

Simrad TP10 Tiller Autopilot is doing the steering in the video. You can hear it along with the engine

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	202014   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00050.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	202015  

Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	202016   Click image for larger version

Name:	WD2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	202018  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 10:43   #4

Boat: Viko S35 & S2 7.3

Thank you for the reply. I have actually redone the motor mount few month ago. I have made it off center and I am very happy with that decision after a season of sailing. I went to full electric and the electric motor is less critical to the level of water. I took the trolling motor off mount every time after sailing (it is 10kg) and it is easy to do with off-center location.
Texasvlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, outboard