Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2016, 13:56   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Outboard Motors - Drive By Wire - Any good?

Hi

I'm having trouble with the controls of my 2 outboards on a cat. I like the idea of the DBW systems but are they any good.

The cables come into the motor at sharp angles and shorten there life and are stiff. DBW sounds like a good solution.

Dave
Old 03-10-2016, 14:06   #2

Re: Outboard Motors - Drive By Wire - Any good?

No experience with DBW, looked at it, but they're pricey!

Have you tried the Teleflex extreme cables? They're splined internally which allows greater clearance, so less friction, while still preventing excess freeplay.

My portside cables are 40 feet long, but with the extreme cables controls are light and easy.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 14:29   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For years Mercury has had DTS which is digital throttle and shift on their Verado's. I think the DTS was great and trouble free, pure wires, no cables.
But I think you may be talking steering?
If so many larger outboards have hydraulic steering, I really like hydraulic steering and of course you can run hoses further and around tighter curves than any teleflex cable. You can go either power or manual, I'd go manual.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 14:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
No experience with DBW, looked at it, but they're pricey!

Have you tried the Teleflex extreme cables? They're splined internally which allows greater clearance, so less friction, while still preventing excess freeplay.

My portside cables are 40 feet long, but with the extreme cables controls are light and easy.
I'll have a look, I'm not sure what I have but I know the previous owner said they were inexpensive (around $100) which would lead me to believe that they are not good quality. The Port cable is about 33' long (10m).

They enter at 90* over about 3" (75mm).
Old 03-10-2016, 15:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
For years Mercury has had DTS which is digital throttle and shift on their Verado's. I think the DTS was great and trouble free, pure wires, no cables.
But I think you may be talking steering?
If so many larger outboards have hydraulic steering, I really like hydraulic steering and of course you can run hoses further and around tighter curves than any teleflex cable. You can go either power or manual, I'd go manual.

I have no steering control on the motors, they fit in the hulls and are held captive when lowered into the water. There are 2 issues, one is the gear selector, I have adjusted it twice and it lasts for a while then stops picking up reverse. There is still some adjustment but I'm sure the cable just doesn't like the bends and there is a fair amount of effort required to select the gears. I have to put so much pressure on the control to change into reverse it is only a matter of time before something gives up. Reverse is push and forwards is pull.

The other issue is I'm having trouble with the outboards cutting out (carburettors) when I am docking forward/reverse/forwards/reverse etc... So I was thinking of nice computer controlled injected engines, something with a low idle and soft touch controls.
Old 03-10-2016, 15:37   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Gear selection you ought to be able to use solenoids for that.
Buying new engines? I have no idea how small Mercury's DTS is used, but it was ideal, if it's available in an engine size you want and you want to spend the bucks, I believe it's been around long enough that the bugs have been worked out

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 17:22   #7

Sticky throttle cables can cause stalling, by applying too much throttle too fast. It might also be worth checking that the accelerator pumps are working properly.

Have you tried getting some lube into the cables? You can disconnect the control end, make some funnels to fit the cables, leave oil in the funnels overnight...

Ideally it would be better if you could also route the cables through bigger curves.

Or look into DBW.... there are some EFI outboards where this might be fairly straightforward, at least for throttle control.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:40   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I maintain a fleet of outboards, about 50 of them are Drive by Wire and in rough (very rough) commercial service. We use all Yamahas and the electronic controls are absolutely bulletproof. The only problem, the Drive by Wire has to be designed into the motor from the beginning, there is no aftermarket refit that does not use at least short cables. I don't know what size motors you use, but if they are under 150 Hp, it is not a practical option.
Mojadito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 15:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojadito View Post
I maintain a fleet of outboards, about 50 of them are Drive by Wire and in rough (very rough) commercial service. We use all Yamahas and the electronic controls are absolutely bulletproof. The only problem, the Drive by Wire has to be designed into the motor from the beginning, there is no aftermarket refit that does not use at least short cables. I don't know what size motors you use, but if they are under 150 Hp, it is not a practical option.
Thanks for all the responses.

I currently have 2 x 25hp Yamahas if I were to change them I'd go a little bigger but still only 30 or 40hp.

Why don't you think they would be practical under 150hp.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:33   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

I currently have 2 x 25hp Yamahas if I were to change them I'd go a little bigger but still only 30 or 40hp.

Why don't you think they would be practical under 150hp.
The manufacturers do not offer them on smaller engines than about 150 HP, I am sure they will in the future. With Yamaha it is standard on 250 HP and up, It is an expensive upgrade on 150-200 HP, but it is not available on anything smaller. I think Mercury is about the same.
Mojadito is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, outboard