Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 09:49   #31

Boat: American Mariner 24'
Re: Outboard Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I learned sailing on inland lakes.

If you are taking the whole family you might want to improve your sailing and boating skills on a nearby lake then head to the coast a bit later
The trip is planned for July 2017. The game plan is to continue to gain skill by sailing (hopefully almost every weekend) from about March until July. If the time comes and I do not feel that myself (or family) is ready. We will keep the slip at the lake and plan for the summer of 2018. We have family there and go back each summer anyways, just thought it would be nice to stay an extra week and do some coastal sailing.

I think I may have found a high thrust 9.9, yet it has no handle, it has cables. Trying to figure out a way to rig it.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 14:04   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I like to have an outboard that's able to do the job without sails if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I didn't want all that extra weight on the stern with a heavier, more powerful outboard.

Also, if you do need that much power, it may be due to the seastate which means the motor may not stay in the water the whole time anyway

My 5 hp 4 stroke (w/25" shaft) weighs about 58 lbs which is enough to be hanging off the stern I'm thinking, and I didn't want to go cutting holes in the boat for an outboard well

This engine will push the boat to around 5 knots or so in good conditions with it's standard prop. If the waves and wind are up and I have to go into them, I use the mainsail to assist
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 14:25   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post
The trip is planned for July 2017. The game plan is to continue to gain skill by sailing (hopefully almost every weekend) from about March until July. If the time comes and I do not feel that myself (or family) is ready. We will keep the slip at the lake and plan for the summer of 2018. We have family there and go back each summer anyways, just thought it would be nice to stay an extra week and do some coastal sailing.

I think I may have found a high thrust 9.9, yet it has no handle, it has cables. Trying to figure out a way to rig it.
My 5 hp outboard is on an adjustable bracket mounted low on the stern with 14" of swing.

I mostly use the integral tank when coming and going from the marina but will hook up the external for a 20 mile bay crossing

The motor is down to the 3/4 the way in the picture on the hard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01826.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	140815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol 27 outboard.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	140816  

Old 06-02-2017, 14:27   #34
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I didn't want all that extra weight on the stern with a heavier, more powerful outboard.

Also, if you do need that much power, it may be due to the seastate which means the motor may not stay in the water the whole time anyway

My 5 hp 4 stroke (w/25" shaft) weighs about 58 lbs which is enough to be hanging off the stern I'm thinking, and I didn't want to go cutting holes in the boat for an outboard well

A high thrust model may weigh slightly more than a standard model of the same make and hp, but their is a huge difference in thrust. You won't gain any top end speed but you will gain the ability to get out of hole quickly. To me this translates into better control while maneuvering and the ability to quickly get the boat pointing back into the wind if you were to drag anchor. Our current boat is a 38' catamaran with a single 15hp Honda mounted on a center sled. The motor turns with the tiller, and with the high thrust it makes the boat maneuverable in a tight situation, all while keeping things lightweight.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 14:33   #35

Quote:
A high thrust model may weigh slightly more than a standard model of the same make and hp, but their is a huge difference in thrust. You won't gain any top end speed but you will gain the ability to get out of hole quickly. To me this translates into better control while maneuvering and the ability to quickly get the boat pointing back into the wind if you were to drag anchor. Our current boat is a 38' catamaran with a single 15hp Honda mounted on a center sled. The motor turns with the tiller, and with the high thrust it makes the boat maneuverable in a tight situation, all while keeping things lightweight.
Got point about dragging anchor, I haven't experienced that yet because my old beatup CQR has never failed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02009.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	140823   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02010.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	140824  

Name:	DSC02012.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	140825  
Old 06-02-2017, 14:35   #36
smj

Quote:
Got point about dragging anchor, I haven't experienced that yet because my old beatup CQR has never failed

You must lead a clean life and please the gods if you've never drug a CQR[emoji38]
Old 06-02-2017, 14:41   #37

Quote:
You must lead a clean life and please the gods if you've never drug a CQR[emoji38]
I think it has a lot to do with the bottom here and the fact that I have been anchoring in this particular area (within 200 miles) for ...................geez, like 45 years plus off and on
Old 06-02-2017, 16:05   #38

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post

What H.P. (and or brand) should I be looking for? I was thinking Honda 9.9, but worry that it will not handle tides, currents, etc.... I did read the thread about H.P. vs fuel consumption in relation to speed. But, still will the 9.9 do what needs to be done? Or would a 15 H.P. be better?
I have a Suzuki 9.9BTX on a 7900# Sabre 28 and it drives the boat to hull speed with power to spare. Remote control with electric start and power tilt make it as easy to use as the inboard was. I can tilt the engine out of the water for less drag while sailing by pushing a button. The engine has EFI (no clogged jets), a 12 amp alternator, big 10" long 4 blade high thrust (5" pitch) prop, and can even be connected to a chartplotter for engine information (temp, RPM, fuel consumption...etc). Easy starting and very quiet. The engine block is the same as the 15 and 20hp Suzuki's so it has much more displacement than other 9.9hp engines for more low end torque. Only difference from the high HP models is a restrictor in the intake (limits airflow at the top end, not down low) and likely software in the computer. It also has lean burn while running at partial throttle for great range.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 16:38   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

As of last fall Suzuki did not make the 9.9X 25" shaft with fuel injection. The 20" only and 15" were on their website.

Do you have a picture of your motor?
Old 06-02-2017, 16:43   #40

Strong outboards are great but if you get caught in large steep waves the only thing that might save/help you are your sails.

I's a good idea to learn to use them along with your motor....
Old 06-02-2017, 16:44   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Seems I stand corrected. That model is not in brochures and most dealers and boat show reps for Suzuki do not know they are made.

Very strange. Seemed a slam dunk for sailors, maybe they should try and sell some.

Customer of mine will likely be ordering 2.
Old 06-02-2017, 16:48   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
As of last fall Suzuki did not make the 9.9X 25" shaft with fuel injection. The 20" only and 15" were on their website.

Do you have a picture of your motor?
That is not accurate. I bought the engine last spring with the 25" shaft and fuel injection.

Suzuki 9.9 HP Outbaord Motor 9.9BTX | Free Shipping

See:
Suzuki Marine - Product Lines - Outboard Motors - Products - DF9_9B - 2012 - DF9.9B EFI

and hit the specs button and it lists the 9.9 with EFI and 25" shaft.

[/url]

Shawn
Old 06-02-2017, 16:49   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I was thinking if it does in fact have the Can bus, it is likely to be fuel injected?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 16:51   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Seems I stand corrected. That model is not in brochures and most dealers and boat show reps for Suzuki do not know they are made.

Very strange. Seemed a slam dunk for sailors, maybe they should try and sell some.

Customer of mine will likely be ordering 2.
It is a fantastic motor for sailors, and has the additional benefit of being the only remote capable engine that is allowed to be sold direct to customers. All the others are supposed to be 'dealer installed' which isn't really feasible for more dealers or sailors.

Shawn
Old 06-02-2017, 16:51   #45
smj

Quote:
Strong outboards are great but if you get caught in large steep waves the only thing that might save/help you are your sails.

I's a good idea to learn to use them along with your motor....

And if your caught in large steep waves with limited room to maneuver you will love that appropriately sized engine. Sometimes there's no time to raise the sails before disaster strikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
outboard, size