Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2017, 21:36   #16
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: over powering your vessel

A 6BT running so lightly loaded will eat turbo exhaust housings. Gamefishing operators only use these engines because they're cheap but the low loads they apply cost them in turbos.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 19:13   #17

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Re: over powering your vessel

Hi all, I missed this post when it came out. Past my bedtime I guess. As for running an engine at low RPM, low load, or excessive idling it will cause blowby past the rings and fuel washing of the bores and carbon build up behind the rings and crankcase oil contamination.
A few hours can be acceptable if you don't make a habit out of it. After doing the dirty deed you should run it up to put a load on it to burn out the carbon and get it hot enough to burn off any deposits on the valve stems and exhaust ports. I spent many hours cleaning piston ring grooves and valve stems before rebuilding engines.
As for trucks idling all night it's now illegal in many states and modern truck diesels are all electronically controlled and the computer will run up the throttle to keep the temps up where they belong. I'm not trying to preach as I've done long idling at times out of necessity. Just try to avoid it if you can.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote