Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2024, 10:22   #1
Dos

Boat: Contest 41 Ketsch
Painting Volvo Penta engines

Hi!
I have some corrosion (rust) at my Volvo Penta D255F and have in mind to remove this.

What kind of paint/treatment would make the most sense after I will have removed the rust with some sanding?

I know that Volvo Penta is offering some green engine paint, but does it contain some protection primer or something already or would it make sense to use a matching primer?

Would be gret to get some ideas on that to ensure my treatment will last as long as possible.
Dos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2024, 12:58   #2

Re: Painting Volvo Penta engines

Generally, if you can keep salt water off the engine, it will not rust at any significant rate. It is generally worth being a bit of a fanatic about this.

Several companies make paint that is (more or less) a match for "Volvo Green", usually at a significant savings. The last one I used was a bit bluer than official Volvo colors, but close enough. With any paint product, I tend to follow the directions from the manufacturer religiously. If I have trouble with corrosion, I'll usually use a primer of "cold galvanizing" spray. Basically, just a paint with a lot of zinc in it. It seems to help.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2024, 13:37   #3
ltd

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 31

Remove as much rust as possible with wire brush, scotchbrite, other abrasives.
Apply a rust converter such as Ospho according to manufacturer instructions.
Be careful to solvent wipe/clean thoroughly at all stages.
Tape off anything you don't want paint on, and aluminum foil can be helpful as well.

Spray primer designed for the specific metal.
Apply engine paint (Volvo, Moeller, etc.)
Some engine paints require a further clear coat after, make sure you do this if required, as the paint will just rub off with solvents if this step isn't followed.
Once you've got the bulk of it done, it's pretty easy to keep up with if you keep the engine free of salt water and touch up on a fairly regular basis as needed.
Many people don't bother to keep up their engine paint, but I believe it's a good idea, as it makes it easier to work on, and to monitor for leaks, problems, etc.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 05:19   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

I've usually had better luck with brush-on than with sprays. Sometimes difficult to control overspray...

There are some high-temp engine paints, but those generally aren't required except for turbos and sometime aftercoolers in larger engines.

-Chris

Tags
volvo, penta, paint, engine