Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2023, 14:28   #1

Paragon transmission on perkins 4236

Hi.
I have a trintella 45 with a perkins 4236 a paragon PM 20L transmission (ratio 2.0.1) and an aquadrive system.my transmission has given me problems for years and now is locked on forward.
Its bee running with contaminated oil.and has an oil leak.
I’m told that I should send it to be rebuild with no guarantees that it can de done as they ara many parte that are not available anymore. Also it will be each time more dificult to find parts.Does any one know about a transmission that can replace it considering that the difference between in and out shaft is 1,3 inch.
maldhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 16:15   #2

Re: Paragon transmission on perkins 4236

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldhorror View Post
Hi.

I have a trintella 45 with a perkins 4236 a paragon PM 20L transmission (ratio 2.0.1) and an aquadrive system.my transmission has given me problems for years and now is locked on forward.

Its bee running with contaminated oil.and has an oil leak.

I’m told that I should send it to be rebuild with no guarantees that it can de done as they ara many parte that are not available anymore. Also it will be each time more dificult to find parts.Does any one know about a transmission that can replace it considering that the difference between in and out shaft is 1,3 inch.

It’s not an easy task with only 13” ? to work with (or is that the drop) so that rules out Borg Warner if you want to continue with a hydraulic reduction gearbox. Other options are ZF 45-1 (2.2:1) Maybe one of the PRM range or possibly a ZF Hurth mechanical gearbox.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 19:37   #3

Boat: None
Re: Paragon transmission on perkins 4236

Your kind of stick there. The old Paragon gears hade reduction built into the offset gear cluster. 1.3" of offset is not much for a modern gear.

Look at a PRM 280 hydraulic transmission. They have lower offsets than most. ( ~3.5" ) The offset is a bit more than an old Paragon but sometimes raising the engine is the path of least resistance. HP @ torque should be in your range. Length will be shorter.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, transmission