Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2020, 16:48   #1

Boat: Morgan 30
Part numbers

Got caught in a storm couple days ago had to motor out I have a Volvo md2b 23 hp
Gauge lost oil pressure, turned off, cleaned oil screen checked oil, no change,

No increase in engine temp stayed below 150,
I’m assuming my gauge is bad or my sending unit as if I really had no oil pressure I’d have blown my motor after 3 days of sailing and or motoring home,
Starts and runs like a top no weird noises
Motor is from the 70s, gauge looks original, line is old ,
Change gauge?
Line?
Sender?
All 3?
Morgan320i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 17:04   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Part numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan320i View Post
Got caught in a storm couple days ago had to motor out I have a Volvo md2b 23 hp
Gauge lost oil pressure, turned off, cleaned oil screen checked oil, no change,

No increase in engine temp stayed below 150,
I’m assuming my gauge is bad or my sending unit as if I really had no oil pressure I’d have blown my motor after 3 days of sailing and or motoring home,
Starts and runs like a top no weird noises
Motor is from the 70s, gauge looks original, line is old ,
Change gauge?
Line?
Sender?
All 3?
Welcome aboard CF, Morgan320.

Is you existing gauge electrical or mechanical?

If electrical, you can test the sender, wiring and gauge and simply replace the faulty item.

The sender simply changes it's resistance as the oil pressure rises and falls. Use a DMM on the ohms setting and measure the resistance in the sender at zero oil pressure (i.e. engine OFF), measure it again at idle and at normal running rpm. If your sender is European, it will rise in resistance as oil pressure rises from a few ohms to a few hundred ohms. If it is North America, it will do the opposite.

If the sender is OK, make the same measurements on the sensing terminal on the back of the gauge (with the sender reconnected). It should be the same if the wiring is OK. Also measure you have 12V across the +ve and -ve terminals on the gauge. If gauge does not operate and has 12V and the sense wire tracks the sender, the gauge is faulty.

A quick and dirty test is even more simple. Making sure the instrument panel is powered and the engine is OFF. The gauge should read 0. Now take the wire off the sender. If European, the gauge should go to full scale deflection. If North American, you will need to touch the wire to the engine ground to get full scale deflection.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 18:07   #3

Boat: Morgan 30

Mechanical , there is also one wire on the top of the sender
Morgan320i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 18:53   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan320i View Post
Mechanical , there is also one wire on the top of the sender
In that case I am guessing the wire is for a low oil pressure (LOP) light (and/or audile alarm).

If you have a LOP light/alarm, is it working correctly. I.E. it lights/sounds with panel power ON, engine OFF and extinguishes once engine is started?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote