Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2022, 16:15   #1

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47
Parts for Kubota block engines

We have a Beta 60, but much of this issue applies to all Kubota base engines, including Nanni
How to get original part numbers for the block?
(Beta publishes a good parts list for the parts they make, but not for the block)
Our engine label by Kubota shows
Type: V2403-M-EU32
Family: YKBXL02.4FCD
I am trying to find a third-party starter to carry as a spare
The Kubota site offers 3 different starters for the V2403.
How to determine which one?
I cannot look at the starter, because Milvina is in Guatemala and I am home in Canada

Broader question, how to buy Kubota parts when there is not Beta dealer around?
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 17:11   #2

Boat: Lagoon 39
Re: Parts for Kubota block engines

try someone at the counter at Parts Source - they will look up the parts and diagrams.

I was surprised a regular automotive parts store in the US had my kubota parts in stock at a very reasonable prices.

Also consider an external regulator for your alternator
macieknan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 17:57   #3

Kubota parts are available a tractor dealers. I have an M25 and use my local tractor dealer, 5 kilometers down the country lane.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 19:30   #4

When you go to a Kubota dealer, they can only look up parts if you know the "tractor model". Block model, 2403, is useless to them.

Attached is a cross-reference for many tractor/block numbers. Looks like 2403 was used in these four (likely others also): L5030, L4720, L5240, L5740

If you find the specific part on the diagram, you can just give Kubota dealer those part numbers.

Link to the parts diagrams:
https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts

scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:21   #5

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by macieknan View Post
try someone at the counter at Parts Source - they will look up the parts and diagrams.

I was surprised a regular automotive parts store in the US had my kubota parts in stock at a very reasonable prices.

Also consider an external regulator for your alternator
Re the external regulator. Yes do it. Massively increases the output. Downside is it is hard on drive belts. Black stuff over the engine front and need to tighten the belt frequently. All in all very much worth it. The drive belts could be modified.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:00   #6

[QUOTE=
I cannot look at the starter, because Milvina is in Guatemala and I am home in Canada /QUOTE]

Mini spring starter - IPU Group

Zhyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:36   #7

Boat: Catalina 36

Check with these guys for the starter and other parts you need. They will have the cross reference parts you need. https://www.kumarbrosusa.com/
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:47   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Yup Parts Source. Canadian Tire Auto Parts. We have one CTC in Toronto has every popular impeller for outboards on the shelf.
I have blue anodized Honda serpentine belts pulleys on a Yanmar
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:33   #9

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I've been down this road with Nanni.
You cannot determine which of the 3 starters is correct from the info you have.
I had to pick from 5, I picked wrong. I didn't carry a spare and had to return the wrong starter..
as others have said, you need to know the tractor, or fork lift or whatever that specific engine was matched to and nobody can tell you that. You may be able to match a parts diagram from Beta with one from Kubota. start going through the Kubota manuals and maybe you will get lucky and see the one Beta copied to produce their manual for your engine. I was not so lucky.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:35   #10

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccubbin View Post
We have a Beta 60, but much of this issue applies to all Kubota base engines, including Nanni
How to get original part numbers for the block?
(Beta publishes a good parts list for the parts they make, but not for the block)
Our engine label by Kubota shows
Type: V2403-M-EU32
Family: YKBXL02.4FCD
I cannot look at the starter, because Milvina is in Guatemala and I am home in Canada

Broader question, how to buy Kubota parts when there is not Beta dealer around?
Where are you in Canada? If on the West Coast, try Klassen Diesel in Delta. They are an Isuzu dealer. Great people.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:48   #11

Boat: Taswell 43

Following. We have a 1989 Onan MDKD Genset (6.5kva) with a Kubota 3-cyl diesel eng. Onan parts are crazy expensive. I have not looked for the Kubota eng #....yet... but it's on my list to do... now!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:53   #12

Boat: Nordic 44

Why do you want a spare starter? The best way to avoid wearing out a starter is to use the preheat on every cold start. My now 19 year old Beta 50 starts in less than a second. Still on the original starter. My Perkins 4-108 that was replaced by the Beta also started easily and never needed a replacement starter.

I know that owners of other makes of engine carry spare starters but it has not been my experience that you need to carry one for Kubota.

If you want to know the part number call Beta in England. Very helpful people. The US importer not as helpful. One of the great things about Beta is that they do not hide any engine information. Also ask them their opinion on the need to carry a spare.

There is also a Kubota dealer in or near Chicago that sells engines for auxiliary uses that can tell you part numbers by engine model and serial number.

Kubota dealers in the USA are not allowed to sell across state lines. That is Kubota's way of protecting them from competition. I don't know how Canadian dealers work.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 05:10   #13

Boat: None

Beta Marine USA has a page at their online parts store that tells you and shows you how to find the Beta Marine factory ID number, and also the Kubota serial number for every Beta Marine engine.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 05:53   #14

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPNC View Post
Beta Marine USA has a page at their online parts store that tells you and shows you how to find the Beta Marine factory ID number, and also the Kubota serial number for every Beta Marine engine.
The OP posted the Kubota engine serial numbers, so clearly finding that is not the issue. the problem is that those numbers don't get you to part numbers of the bolted on stuff like a starter motor... AFAIK. do you know how to connect the engine block number and family to the installed configuration? I don't think that's possible since that block and family is installed in many applications from tractors to fork trucks to boats with various different bolt on components.. so there is no way to know which is the correct starter motor from the engine serial numbers alone.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 14:09   #15

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Fortunately, when we were circumnavigating, we had very few occasions when we needed replacement parts for our Beta 90 but, when we did, the US distributor was not only accommodating but reasonable in the prices they charged.

When I ordered the Beta engine from the local dealer, I negotiated for him to sell me a long list of spare parts for 10% over his cost. I did order a spare starter and never needed it.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, parts