Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2018, 19:50   #1

Boat: '90 Jeanneau Voyage 12.5
parts4engines review?

This site comes up from time to time with folks saying they have good pricing and ship internationally. They do indeed have good pricing, but parts are 3rd party and not the manufacturer. I assume they work/fit, but wondering about quality/longevity of parts from people using this site? Thanks in advance!
sandrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 21:58   #2

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38
Re: parts4engines review?

If you're buying for a 4-108, 154 or 236, then just about everything is going to be third party or rebuilt anyway since they're so old. I've purchased the top gasket kit and the head gasket looks like an excellent quality unit. The other gaskets in the kit look like good quality too.

I also ordered some oil and fuel filters from them and those are Perkins labeled items.

Can't speak to the longevity since I'm just installing the stuff now but out of the box, everything looks great.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 23:01   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

From what I’ve found online, parts4engines is legit and make a quality product. Confident enough to order a bunch of parts this week.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 03:35   #4

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I have also found them to be very good.
Old 29-04-2018, 20:12   #5

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

I've heard a few people recommend parts4engines on a 4-108 forum I'm on.

Unfortunately, their online business uses a charge system called Worldpay that my bank flat out refuses to work with.

Wound up locked out of my bank account and had to spend hours on the phone before I could figure out what was wrong. According to the bank representative I finally got to speak with, there was no chance to even make a single pre authorised transaction with a Worldpay account.

Not sure why Worldpay was flat out blacklisted, but I really wish parts4engine offered a PayPal option.
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 23:55   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

Got my stuff , no issues paying, fast and looks great. Will see how things fit next week.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 13:14   #7

Got all of my 4108 parts no probs from these guys
kinggeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 14:19   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Ordered a whole bunch of stuff from them for my Volvo MD2030s. Most of it was genuine Volvo parts (with the holographic stickers to prove it). The shipped fast and everything arrived in good order.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 08:55   #9

Thumbs down Re: parts4engines review?

We ordered an alternator for our Perkins 4.236 from this site and a second back up alternator. Both came as promised. We were not at the boat for a few weeks. When we opened the boxes, one of the alternators was damaged. And, the mounting foot was not the right configuration. Ours is 2 inches and fits inside the mount, the model they sent as recommended by their website was 3+ inches and designed to fit outside the mount and not usable.

I messaged the company to ask for a return shipping label and sent pictures of the damaged alternator, along with an explanation as to the wrong model be suggested by their website and neither will work. They offered to refund my money but I would have to ship them both back to their location, in England. Our boat and the alternators are in California. I requested a prepaid shipping label or for them to accommodate the cost to ship back the alternators. They refused, even though their policy states they will not pay for return shipping UNLESS IT IS THEIR FAULT OR THE ITEM DOES NOT WORK.

I escalated the issue to a different customer service person, who when I pushed again to get them to pay for return shipping, became rude and combative in email.

We are now out the cost of 2 alternators and parts4engines.com will not make it right. This is expensive, very disappointing and a VERY POOR CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE.
jerenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 09:06   #10

Boat: Morgan 382

Got a waterpump from them and the impeller was pressed on to far and grinding on the case. It was easy for me to fix with a press, but reflective of poor quality control.
Old 12-02-2024, 09:10   #11

In today's world of internet purchasing and trusting vendors to do the right thing if they are at fault, I am shocked they are not willing to pay for shipping to return the wrong suggested product and one being damaged.
Old 12-02-2024, 12:23   #12

My experience with Parts4engines has been trouble free, mostly Shibaura and Perkins/Mazda rebuild kits. Engine mounts are another frequent purchase of mine from them too. The problem with the alternator feet is easy to fix with a compact adapter ( gender changer) but the “damaged in transit alternator” is harder to deal with, the multiple delivery services that handled your alternator would have no problem throwing or dropping an alternator, youtube has a huge number of videos showing willful abuse of packages ( and luggage) by baggage and freight handlers and I’m sure Parts4 adequately packaged an undamaged unit for dispatch.
One far more sinister incident occurred with a Perkins 4-108 crankshaft, a friend of mine rebuilt his beloved engine and got a new crank from Parts4 as well as the rebuild kit ……and the crankshaft broke on the seatrial. I found this to be fairly startling, no satisfactory reason was discovered by the owner and he’s a fairly competent amateur mechanic so the usual causes ( mixed up bearing caps, loose conrod bolts etc) could be dismissed. My thought was that it was either a faulty crankshaft OR a dropped in transit incident. We tried dropping an old 4-108 crankshaft directly onto the concrete floor in my workshop, flywheel flange first and it bent by an unexpected amount , too great to even get it to lie in the bearings let alone put the caps back on. The original Perkins shafts were dropforged and I suspect that the replacement was cast steel, not forged ……..dropping a cast shaft is fatal. Parts4 refunded the cost of the shaft.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 20:49   #13

Boat: Elan 340, 10m

I've bought from Parts4Engines, pricing could be half as much or better than genuine parts in Oz, shipping is quick and reasonably priced. Most parts (Volvo D1-30) appear to be genuine Penta for the marinization and Perkins for the engine if not they appear to be reasonable quality aftermarket. Although if in doubt their web site specifies genuine or aftermarket, from memory on some parts there is a choice.
I have not had any need for returns so I can't comment.
Old 14-02-2024, 07:47   #14

UPDATE: It appears there was some confusion how to handle this issue within the Customer Support Team. I escalated the issue within Parts4engines.com. Michael looked into it and resolved the matter. They made it right and solved the confusion.

I will return as a loyal customer to this great resource for our boat engines. Thanks to Michael and Parts4Engines.com for restoring our faith to continue purchasing parts online.
Old 14-02-2024, 13:12   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thanks for the update jerenzo. It is always good to hear when such problems get sorted out to everyone's satisfaction.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, parts