Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2020, 09:35   #1

Pathfinder Diesel Shop Manual/Parts

Does anybody have access to a Pathfinder Diesel shop manual and/or any parts. My boat is on the hard in Vancouver with the engine at the VW mechanics shop. They tell me I need a new clutch/pressure plate, which is apparently a Pathfinder, not a VW part. I have tried contacting the old Pathfinder service number in Montreal, but the number is not in service. Don’t know if this permanent or just during the current hostilities.
Apparently there is a table in the manual that cross links pathfinder parts with their generic siblings. What I would like is if someone could email me a scan or photo of that page. Or if anybody knows of an old engine somewhere I could buy for parts. Thanks.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 10:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Pathfinder Diesel Shop Manual/Parts

VW Marine Diesel Workshop Manual
https://www.sv-zanshin.com/r/manuals...-5workshop.pdf

I encourage everyone, who downloads manuals etc. from these (or other) links, then upload the actual materials to our Cruisers Forum Libraryhttps://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/downloads.php

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 13:31   #3

Boat: None

Your engine does not have "clutch/pressure plate" like a automobile mechanic would typically see. It is what is called a drive plate or damper plate or engine coupling.

Sizes and types and brands vary. It is a marinization part more specific to the transmission used and I would be surprised if it is even listed in the engine parts list.

Be prepared to to take photos of the front and back and give an overall diameter dimension to allow someone who knows what they are looking at to ID it. Some drive plates can be tricky to identify.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 14:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPNC View Post
Your engine does not have "clutch/pressure plate" like a automobile mechanic would typically see. It is what is called a drive plate or damper plate or engine coupling.

Sizes and types and brands vary. It is a marinization part more specific to the transmission used and I would be surprised if it is even listed in the engine parts list.

Be prepared to to take photos of the front and back and give an overall diameter dimension to allow someone who knows what they are looking at to ID it. Some drive plates can be tricky to identify.
Great, thanks. That’s very useful information. I knew the part wasn’t really a clutch or pressure plate, but didn’t know what it was actually called. I have a Hurth 10 gearbox, so maybe I will contact the local Hurth service agent and see if they can help. Thanks again
Old 28-03-2020, 09:18   #5

Boat: Sceptre 36

I have an Owners Manual for a Pathfinder 50
Not sure what you are looking for so PM me and maybe I can find out some info from it for you.
My engine was rebuilt 2000 by Sidney Propeller & Marine Power LTD in Sidney BC
Doug Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 09:35   #6

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Following

I have Pathfinder owners and shop manuals on my boat - in La Paz. Unfortunately I’m in northern Utah because of medical issues.

Due to CV, no clue when I will be able to get back.

Pathfinders come up on EBay occasionally. I know one mechanic in La Paz has at least one in his shop. Shipping anything to and from Mexico is a PITA in the best of times.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 13:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Rutherford View Post
I have an Owners Manual for a Pathfinder 50
Not sure what you are looking for so PM me and maybe I can find out some info from it for you.
My engine was rebuilt 2000 by Sidney Propeller & Marine Power LTD in Sidney BC
Thanks Doug. I will send you a pm shortly.
Old 29-03-2020, 10:12   #8

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Hi
I have a Pathfinder on my 1982 Islander 36 with the diagrams. Pm me if you want me to scan and email.
CLDy
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 08:49   #9

If anyone still needs this, I scanned the full manual for my Pathfinder 65MF - it's available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jok7hv8pbk..._rdct.pdf?dl=0
Tzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 15:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzara View Post
If anyone still needs this, I scanned the full manual for my Pathfinder 65MF - it's available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jok7hv8pbk..._rdct.pdf?dl=0
Wow, that is an awesome manual. Thanks for posting it. I have printed and bound it so have both a hard and soft copy. Wish I had a copy when I rebuilt my engine. Your manual, combined with the Haynes Automotive shop manual for 80 Jetta Diesel that I already have, should just about cover all the bases.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:26   #11

Ditto what osprey877 said. Thanks very much Tzara for scanning and posting that manual. Using in combo with Bentley and Haynes manuals for VW Rabbit diesel.
RobertPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 15:58   #12

Glad it helped! Smart move getting the shop manuals for the Rabbit Diesel too - what years Rabbits are correct for the Pathfinder?
Tzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 16:12   #13

Tzara. I've gone through that manual page by page. There's much that is of use there, although much of it is seemingly quite redundant/repetitive. Have you seen the parts manual about anywhere, by any chance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap6.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	254195  
RobertPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 14:19   #14

I've got a Pathfinder 65MF manufactured in 2006, and I'm looking for a VW part number for the serpentine belt or a source to find the belt. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The manual gives a good description of how to change it but no details on the belt. Thanks
SGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 15:12   #15

Did you check the link above: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jok7hv8pbk..._rdct.pdf?dl=0

Tags
diesel, parts