Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 21:15   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun odyssey 342
Perkins 100 series coolant failure

Hi,

I have a Perkins 100 series 3 cylinder diesel. The engine is cooled through the coolant passing through a shell and tube heat exchanger containing seawater. Recently I suffered engine failure that I attributed to old fuel/blocked injectors/pumps. Having thoroughly investigated this I then noticed the coolant seemed a little low. I topped it up and once the engine started running oil/water pumped out of the rocker cover breather pipe . I stripped off the cylinder head/ drained the engine oil/coolant hoping to find a blown head gasket or dreading a cracked cylinder block. I found neither. I was desperate for a sail so I put the engine back together and refilled the coolant, thinking a night's rocking in the pen would reveal any problems the next day. I found the oil sump full of coolant. Is there some seal I'm missing? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks,

Rhodri
Rhod72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 19:29   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: Perkins 100 series coolant failure

You need to specify what sort of engine failure you suffered and what you did to "thoroughly investigate" it.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 19:39   #3

Boat: Jeanneau Sun odyssey 342

I'd added some fuel additive engine/ injector cleaner whilst totally failing to recognise that there wasn't a lot of fuel in the tank. The engine stopped whilst I was preparing to return to my pen. I disconnected the fuel line from the filter after the tank and tried running the engine from a jerry can. I could get fuel to the injector pumps but not after the injector pumps. I removed the injector pumps and cleaned them and dismantled them as best I could. After which the engine would run for a short time and then die. I repeated this process a few times before noticing the low coolant level. I then topped up the coolant, cleaned the injectors once again and then cranked the engine until it started. Shortly afterwards water/oil started coming out of the rocker cover breather pipe.
Rhod72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 20:12   #4
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Sounds like you should have called a mechanic a lot earlier in the piece. Do the Perkin 100s have injector tubes?
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, perkins