Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2021, 17:33   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Perkins 22c Starter motor lose cable Bolt?

Hi. I need some insight advice before I start taking the Perkins 404 22c/(it's the same engine that the old Volvo 55 hp has rebranded) starter motor off. Attached photo, I have marked the bolt that turns and wiggles when I try to do up the nut on the cable. My impression it that the bolt has come loose inside the starter housing? I have no idea if this can be repaired, or do I need to replace the starter motor? Thanks in advance for your help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter motor  lose bolt.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	245551   Click image for larger version

Name:	lose bolt V2.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	245552  

kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 20:47   #2

Re: Perkins 22c Starter motor lose cable Bolt?

I don’t know why it’s loose but I can tell you that it’s the starter motor earth cable. The Perkins Prima and the closely related Volvo are both “above ground” or insulated earth engines but I can see 3 other earth cables in your photo so your engine is probably no longer insulated. .......unless those 3 cables are attached to a momentary solenoid. Is this on a metal hulled vessel ? Has the engine been starting ok?
Yes it can be fixed but not in situ, it’s a bench job.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 20:56   #3

Ok, in other threads you mention it is a 15 metre alloy hull so you should repair the loose
-ve and explore the need for the 3 grounds on the starter motor securing bolt.
Old 21-09-2021, 00:32   #4

Hi Skipperpete.

Your replying, is helpful. Thank you.

The engine starts when I jam the bolt somewhat so it makes an earth connection, Otherwise after a time of engine vibration when its running it will not start.

I suspect the bolt end inside the starter casing, rather a nut or tack weld came adrift as the bolt is loose and can be turned. I found there is no way to do up the bolt and/or remove the cable nuts as a result. Making the removal of the starter motor an issue. As you rightly noted, the other earth cables are attached to the solenoid. Yes, my boat is an Aluminium 15 meter (50') masthead cutter. I have a ground rotor off and on switch to isolate the engine when not running. I don't know how to identify a part number for a new starter as backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I don’t know why it’s loose but I can tell you that it’s the starter motor earth cable. The Perkins Prima and the closely related Volvo are both “above ground” or insulated earth engines but I can see 3 other earth cables in your photo so your engine is probably no longer insulated. .......unless those 3 cables are attached to a momentary solenoid. Is this on a metal hulled vessel ? Has the engine been starting ok?
Yes it can be fixed but not in situ, it’s a bench job.
Old 21-09-2021, 04:04   #5

Here’s the “Parts4engines” replacement but given that your engine is no longer insulated in the conventional sense it might be cheaper to find a standard starter motor rather than dropping 600 quid on the insulated earth model. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2711.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	245690Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2712.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	245691
Old 21-09-2021, 04:24   #6

THANKS - For the info. How to know if it is a straight swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Here’s the “Parts4engines” replacement, but given that your engine is no longer insulated in the conventional sense, it might be cheaper to find a standard starter motor rather than dropping 600 quid on the insulated earth model. Attachment 245690Attachment 245691
Old 21-09-2021, 13:25   #7

There is another way to deal with that loose bolt! Either put two locknuts on the available thread then tighten the inner nut while holding the locknuts or use a pair of vice grips on the thread. Protect the thread with a short bit of copper tube and spray some penetrating fluid on the inner nut. It’s very important to NOT turn that threaded part.

Tags
motor, perkins