Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2008, 16:45   #1

Boat: Mariner M31 Ketch
Perkins 4-107

Hi all,

I have an older Perkins in my Ketch. The boat was on the hard when I bought it,the hour meter had a little over 800 hours on it, and the engine looks to be in good shape. I plan on starting it up later this month and checking it out.

I am doing allot of work on the cockpit right now and the engine compartment is wide open with great access.

Is the Perkins 4-107 engine a reliable one? Granted, if it checks out after I start it up, I'll probably do some basic maintenance on it, but if these engines are known for problems I would rather deal with it now while the boat is open, perhaps replaceing it with a more reliable one.

Any past experiences with Perkins?

Thanks,

Steve
BluesTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 17:06   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Steve,
You've got a good engine with low hours. If it runs, I'd keep it. If it runs good just change oil and filters and give it super clean fuel and it'll last as long as the boat.
They are noted for making a bit more noise than the modern engines and do leak a little bit of oil and diesel if really well used. If there isn't a bunch of gunk under the engine or a lot of diesel smell in the boat you are good to go.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 17:08   #3

Steve,
If it really only has 800 hours (assuming on a rebuild) and hasn't sat too long, it could be a great engine. Most of the parts are interchangeable with the 108.

I'm in the midst of repowering from a 107, somewhat regrettably. It was great and ALWAYS started very quickly (on about the 2nd chug), even after sitting several months. My problem was a cracked block that I attribute to a bit of neglect before I inherited it. If it wasn't for that I think it would run for many more years.

That being said, if you need any I'll have some spares and whatever comes off the engine available if anyone is interested. I do have a newly rebuilt set of spare injectors, plus a brand new (unused) heat exchanger (mine is the vertical one just in front of the injection pump).

Good luck and I hope she treats you well.

Scot
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 08:14   #4

Boat: Mariner M31 Ketch
Parts

Scott, Yes I am interetse din your spare parts. CAn you give me an idea of the cost of the Heat Exchanger and the injectors? I live just south of you and could pick them up if need be.

Thanks,

Steve

sburgepmp@gmail.com
BluesTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 08:26   #5

Steve, I'll contact you offline.

Scot
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 09:07   #6

jaga - I also have a 4-107. If Steve doesn't need the parts I would be interested. Please PM me if they are available.