Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2016, 20:31   #1

Boat: Ericson 37
Perkins 4-107 Throttle Spindle Leak

Perkins 4-107 in an Ericson 37, 1974
Suddenly developed a fast drip of fuel leaking from the throttle lever spindle on the injector pump.
Has anyone repaired this other than removal of the pump and a rebuild?
Should this be done professionally?
Pump R & R, is it possible for a persistent amateur?
Impetuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 01:12   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Perkins 4-107 Throttle Spindle Leak

Get the model and brand of injector pump. You may find a parts list online. Ebay is a good place to start. You may be able to order the individual seal or if necessary, a rebuild kit. The shaft seal could be an o-ring. If so any good auto supply or hydraulic supply should have one.
If you are careful and don't damage things when taking them apart, this should be doable by a person that does some mechanics. If you don't know how to time your injector pump, don't take it out of the engine. You should be able to do the seal change with the pump mounted.
But if one seal is gone, others may be near their end.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 06:45   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

Perkins parts distribution in the US.
http://www.pacificpowergroup.com/marine/service-support
The perkins is a popular engine for refrigeration on trucks. Found the parts I needed to bring my 4.107 engine back to life.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 22:19   #4

Thanks for the encouragement.

You make a good point about the other seals.
I cannot find a good detailed schematic of the pump.
DPA type, hydraulic govenor. Identification/serial number plate missing.

Even if I feel confident about R & R the pump and maintaining timing access is a nightmare in our installation and with a haulout due in the New Year I might wait, as long as the drip does not become a stream, and let the yard professionals help.
Thanks again.
A
Old 18-12-2016, 23:30   #5

Boat: Nicholson 38

Don't remove the injection pump! You don't need to.

I have a 4-108 and had a similar issue. I don't know if the injection pump is the same as yours (it likely is, or is very similar), but with some encouragement from people online on the Nicholson 38 forum (here is the thread: Topic: Leaking fuel injection pump | Nicholson 38 Owners Group), I was able to buy a replacement set of O-rings and repair it myself.

You can probably call up a good diesel shop (ie not NAPA or similar, but a real diesel shop, call around) and tell them your problem and which model of injection pump you have (it will be imprinted/stamped onto a label on the side), and they'll say, oh, you need this o-ring kit, and it is 15 dollars, and they'll mail it to you in a regular envelope with a few greasy finger prints. Fabulous!

If I recall correctly, you will need to remove the small, top section of the pump - the part where the throttle lever is. It's held on with a couple of small bolts. First you detach the two cables.

My biggest problem was access as it was under the exhaust manifold - I had to take that off (in hindsight, I think I could have done it without removing the manifold, but I hate working upside down). Once you get it off, you can pretty easily take it apart, replace the o-rings, reassemble it, remount it, and that's it. Just keep it all super clean so you don't get dirt inside - you are screwed if you do! I think it took me about two hours, since I did not know what I was doing.

Good luck!
Old 19-12-2016, 00:40   #6

I know what you mean about surgical cleanliness.

That is a great link. Access is the issue for us.

Our pump is the mechanical regulated type and does not have the cover with the spindle and spring under it. The procedure for that one I understand, in our case I am still ignorant of the assembly, a schematic would really help.

The local Perkins guru is a very bad-tempered Brit but very experienced. No doubt he will fix it if I bring it to him. No self-help advice from him. I will brave him tomorrow for o-rings and gaskets.

Thanks for the encouragement
Old 19-12-2016, 10:19   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

These may help.

Link to the Workshop Manual.
http://www.fujiyachts.net/manuals/Pe...p%20Manual.pdf

Note the 4.108 and 4.107 are essentially the same engine.

Here is a listing of parts from a 1975 document.
http://alberg37.org/Project%20DB/Per...4-108parts.pdf
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 15:46   #8

True that re: 107/108

I will start taking the boat apart and eventually all will become clear.
The consensus is to leave the pump in place, remove the exhaust manifold, take lots of care and use the two o-rings from the $50 rebuild kit.

This might take a while as we might wait until haulout early next year. I will post my progress.

Thank you once again for your help and encouragement.
A
Old 19-12-2016, 17:32   #9

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Found this CAV injection pump manual here on CF somewhere. file:///C:/Users/Home/Desktop/CAV%20Workshop%20Manual%20fuel-injection-pump.pdf
It will give you a pretty good idea of the components. Also, there are several Utube videos that explain to keep in mind some levers and springs that need to be placed on the proper holes under the top cover of the pump. You do not need to remove the pump to do this but need to look from underneath the top cover where those hooks, levers and things go and to put them back properly, so may have to remove the exhaust manifold for access. Just may need the 'o'rings mentioned. You may be able to do it fine, if not, and really need to remove the injection pump to reach things or send out to repair, you will need to mark the reference of the pump body with the engine block ( there is a match mark ) it's near where the serial # for the engine is in order to maintain the proper timing. Disconnect all the fuel lines and the throttle and shut off levers, do not turn the flywheel or spin the engine, remove a hidden bolt behind the pump with a long allen wrench, it's english, not metric size. Can cut off the bent part of an allen wrench and secure it to the end of a socket set to reach. Do not mess with those adjusting screws and nuts on the pump, those are factory set. Also, try not to disturb the pump by not turning the shaft. When re-assembling those fuel lines, wipe off clean the tips and the threads before re-inserting into the pump. When finished and re-starting the engine, keep in mind some positive way to stop a runaway with a thick piece of wood to shut off the air to the intake just in case. If it still leaks or runs bad, then send it out for repair. Try this repair first.
file:///C:/Users/Home/Desktop/CAV%20Workshop%20Manual%20fuel-injection-pump.pdf
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 22:19   #10

Yes. Thank you for the pump manual. Helpful up to a point for my application which is of the hydraulic govenor type. When I began this saga I was mistaken in thinking it was mechanical.

Here is an excellent classic-look training video from CAV. It shows the principles of operation of both types of govenor:

Tags
perkins, rot