Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 21:21   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bill Tripp Custom 60
perkins 4.107 weep holes?

There are 4 holes on the port side of engine about the size of a pencil lead. Looks like they correspond to the cylinders? The second one back from front of engine is leaking a little oil .. why? Any easy fix?

Thanks!
Ryan
rrayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 23:10   #2

Re: perkins 4.107 weep holes?

You have a leak between the top and bottom liner seal ring . Do not block the hole off as you may force the water pass the bottom seal into the sump. Early series 4107's have only one btm seal the later series have two. Some 4.99 & 4107 perky top seals may weep for years without causing any major problems, some do it from new it was quit common to use Bars' leak or similiar before delivery.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 05:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bill Tripp Custom 60

Thanks for the info Doug! I assumed it had something to do with the cylinders. It has leaked for as long as I have had it. It's not much but enough to put drips in the bilge. It is water and oil coming out? Or just oil? Any way to make it stop other than a rebuilt? I assume since you say they leaked from factory sometimes that its just part of owning a Perkins. I did add a walker air sep . Didn't stop that leak..
rrayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:35   #4

Boat: Ganley September 32'

Hi there just thought I would mention I have a 4107 and it also leaks oil from these 4 weep holes. Has been running fine for the 5 years under my tenure, however I do fear this symptom may progress to some more serious issue. Does anyone have insight on what failure may result? What to keep an eye out for?

An old fella with lots of Perkins experience reckoned the aromatics in modern oils ain't good for the seals designed way back and recommended putting straight 30 oil in the engine.

Any thoughts or other ideas?
JSTEEL_NZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins