Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2022, 09:41   #16

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy
Re: Perkins 4.108 - is this the "mixing elbow"? Why is this adapter threaded??

Enyar I see you’re in Florida as well as this guy. What are the chances one of the fittings shown here would do the job for you? https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...gs-270429.html
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 06:27   #17

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
Enyar I see you’re in Florida as well as this guy. What are the chances one of the fittings shown here would do the job for you? https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...gs-270429.html
Wow thanks for looking out! I've been searching and I don't thing what I need exists (1/2" male or female threaded to 1 1/8" barbed). One of these pieces + an adapter might work though.
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 04:01   #18

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Wow thanks for looking out! I've been searching and I don't thing what I need exists (1/2" male or female threaded to 1 1/8" barbed). One of these pieces + an adapter might work though.
I just picked up an HDI MARINE exhaust elbow specifically made for the Bowman / Perkins combination. Quality stuff-- I would replace what you have and use it as a spare-- and get this SS exhaust elbow... It probably will not fail in our lifetime friend....

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 21:08   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

Enyar,
Another suggestion, remove the heat exchanger from the engine. Take the unit to an auto radiator shop. Tell them the ID of the hose you want to use. They can install the proper fittings. Ask them to boil and pressure test the heat exchanger.

I did that with the HE for my Perkins 4.107 (a sister engine to your 4.108). The shop completed the work in about 10 days. $65.00. Put it in the boat. It was like a new unit.

Be sure you replace the zinc in your HE on a regular basis. Many boaters forget this and are sorry.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 14:45   #20

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSailem View Post
Enyar,

Another suggestion, remove the heat exchanger from the engine. Take the unit to an auto radiator shop. Tell them the ID of the hose you want to use. They can install the proper fittings. Ask them to boil and pressure test the heat exchanger.

I did that with the HE for my Perkins 4.107 (a sister engine to your 4.108). The shop completed the work in about 10 days. $65.00. Put it in the boat. It was like a new unit.

Be sure you replace the zinc in your HE on a regular basis. Many boaters forget this and are sorry.
Wonder if there is a zinc on the Bowman HE? Hhhhmmm...

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 16:26   #21

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLE JUMPER II View Post
Wonder if there is a zinc on the Bowman HE? Hhhhmmm...
If you find one, please let us know. I've looked all over mine, plus checked the manual and looked online. I can't find a reference to one but it makes me nervous.
Old 10-01-2023, 07:00   #22

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Quick update in case someone else has a similar issue. I couldn't find an adapter to go from the 3/4" threaded male or female (I had both options) to a 1 1/8" / ~28mm barb fitting. What I ended up doing was just sanding off the threads of the female threaded 3/4" to male threaded 1 1/8" (or whatever it was ) so that it was smooth. That made the outside diameter almost a perfect fit for the Bowman 3667 adapter that I had purchased. I purchased the 3667 because that's what I pulled off of it.

Now that I've done this fiasco the proper method would have probably been using purchasing the Bowman 3251 adapter which has a 22mm exit and connected that directly to the elbow without any adapters. That would get me a little extra clearance because this thing was a pain to get on.

I'll run this until it dies. If the elbow dies then I would replace it with one of the stainless options out there that seem much better for routing these end caps.
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elbow, perkins