Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2022, 17:01   #1

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Perkins 4.108 - is this the "mixing elbow"? Why is this adapter threaded??

Hello!

The rubber end cap on my Bowman heat exchanger split and turned into a saltwater washdown for my engine. Now that I am replacing it I am finding the space between the exchanger and the elbow is very very tight and that the adapter on the elbow is threaded which doesn't make much sense to me. I am wondering if the adapter isn't the right peice but I can't quite find the correct thing to search for on google to find a replacement. Can anyone point me in the right direction on whether this looks right or what a replacement nipple piece would be called / where to get it?

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7290.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	266894  
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 17:57   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Perkins 4.108 - is this the "mixing elbow"? Why is this adapter threaded??

Trans Atlantic diesel has many adapter ends available. Best to email them some pics of the setup and they will get you the right part the first time.

*After taking a better look at your picture, you just need to back out that threaded fitting and install a threaded to barbed fitting. Prob $20 for a good bronze or stainless one.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 18:07   #3

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

We have the same elbow. I forget what we put on there exactly. Away from the boat at the moment- but it wasn’t hard to find something at the local auto supply.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 19:45   #4

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH

Weird set up... My bowman has different fitting..

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 16:43   #5

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

The threaded section you are looking at is the cooling water injection point,there maybe a hose or pipe with fittings to match ,or as said ,unscrew fittings into injection point and use suitable hose barb fitting for hose or pipe .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:12   #6

Wondering what my chances are to get the existing threaded fitting out without collateral damage.
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Old 08-11-2022, 05:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Wondering what my chances are to get the existing threaded fitting out without collateral damage.
Probably at least 50% if you are patient and remove the part from the engine.

If it were me-- I would soak the nipple piece in white vinegar for a full week (or if you want to be aggressive use a marine engine descaler); moving it around in the vinegar once a day. After the 7th day, I would take a heat gun to it in a vice, and get it really hot-- after it cools down a bit--- smack it hard with a brass or 5lb rubber mallet to try and break the corrosion seal by sending vibration through the pieces. See if it breaks loose after that. If not-- you've more than likely broken or splintered the corrosion-- but some BLUE CREEPER or Seafoam--DEEP CREEP in there for 4 days... Soaking and patience will get you the win-- brut force breaks and destroys parts every day time...

This was a personal, hard lessoned learned early on in OLD BOAT ownership 101...

Good luck and let us know how she goes...

Skipper T
Old 08-11-2022, 06:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLE JUMPER II View Post
Probably at least 50% if you are patient and remove the part from the engine.

If it were me-- I would soak the nipple piece in white vinegar for a full week (or if you want to be aggressive use a marine engine descaler); moving it around in the vinegar once a day. After the 7th day, I would take a heat gun to it in a vice, and get it really hot-- after it cools down a bit--- smack it hard with a brass or 5lb rubber mallet to try and break the corrosion seal by sending vibration through the pieces. See if it breaks loose after that. If not-- you've more than likely broken or splintered the corrosion-- but some BLUE CREEPER or Seafoam--DEEP CREEP in there for 4 days... Soaking and patience will get you the win-- brut force breaks and destroys parts every day time...

This was a personal, hard lessoned learned early on in OLD BOAT ownership 101...

Good luck and let us know how she goes...

Hmmm I was going to try and avoid taking off the whole elbow but that's probably not a horrible idea. I imagine I would need new gaskets if I did remove it?
Old 08-11-2022, 08:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Hmmm I was going to try and avoid taking off the whole elbow but that's probably not a horrible idea. I imagine I would need new gaskets if I did remove it?
If it were me? 150%... If old ones come off unscathed-- save as spares... You DO NOT want to touch this for another 5 years... Or should not have to

Skipper T
Old 08-11-2022, 09:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLE JUMPER II View Post
If it were me? 150%... If old ones come off unscathed-- save as spares... You DO NOT want to touch this for another 5 years... Or should not have to
Is my only option for gaskets Trans Atlantic diesel? I can only get to the boat once a month so I'll try to get my ducks in a row for next time if I cant find them locall.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:15   #11

I will look more at my elbow later today but I think it’s similar to yours if not the same.

I’m guessing that your blue elbow threads in to a flange, which is bolted to your engine. Between the flange and the engine block there will be a gasket.

You may be able to unscrew the elbow without removing the flange (if there’s room to unscrew it and it’s not too seized up. In which case you should not need any gaskets. But if space is limited and you can’t just revolve the entire elbow to unscrew it- unbolt the flange and then go at removing the elbow. I eventually had to cut mine apart to get it out, but it was very rusty, much worse than yours.

To me it looks like that elbow has got quite a few years of life left in it. I would probably leave it alone unless I was just looking for a project. If for some reason you are just trying to remove that threaded water injection port at the top, you should be able to unscrew that part alone, using heat and penetrant as suggested.
Old 08-11-2022, 14:59   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	18F570BF-ECAB-419B-9690-700C0C28CF1C.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	266985

This is what we haywired together, FWIW. Just whatever hodgepodge of parts we pieced together from the auto supply, to get that hose connected.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
I will look more at my elbow later today but I think it’s similar to yours if not the same.

I’m guessing that your blue elbow threads in to a flange, which is bolted to your engine. Between the flange and the engine block there will be a gasket.

You may be able to unscrew the elbow without removing the flange (if there’s room to unscrew it and it’s not too seized up. In which case you should not need any gaskets. But if space is limited and you can’t just revolve the entire elbow to unscrew it- unbolt the flange and then go at removing the elbow. I eventually had to cut mine apart to get it out, but it was very rusty, much worse than yours.

To me it looks like that elbow has got quite a few years of life left in it. I would probably leave it alone unless I was just looking for a project. If for some reason you are just trying to remove that threaded water injection port at the top, you should be able to unscrew that part alone, using heat and penetrant as suggested.
Luckily I was able to remove the port without too much effort! Didn't even need heat. I'm going to try to replace the threaded adapters with a barbed smooth fitting in stainless or bronze.

How does the other end of your hose look? You must have a very different heat exchanger than mine because I don't see how that would work with my end caps.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:40   #14

https://hdimarine.net/product/p4bow-...-mixing-elbow/

I plan on ordering this one... Unless someone has a better option for replacement? They still produce the cast iron ones-- believe it or not...

Cannot beat the price and material!!

Skipper T
Old 10-11-2022, 10:58   #15

Looks good. The cast iron elbows last for ages. Yeah we’ve definitely got a different setup than yours, I see now, so my earlier post above does not apply. With some fiddling around in hardware stores you should be able to find parts easily enough, to adapt to your hose connection. Good luck!

Tags
elbow, perkins