Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2015, 15:40   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Perkins 4.108 Overheating

Since there is no way of sugarcoating my major blunder, here are the facts.
I ran the engine without water circulating, for 20-30 minutes before overheating alerted me to the problem. I immediately switched the valve so that water would circulate. The engine cooled down somewhat but lost probably all coolant. Since that time I have replaced the thermostat, although it seemed to be ok. The impeller was destroyed and changed. I removed the hose to the rear of the engine where the remaining pieces of impeller were residing and sucked out a good many pieces with my shop vac. Replaced coolant. Checked oil. No leaks that I can see. However, the engine is still overheating (210+-) Any ideas? The engine has only 1500+ hours.
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:03   #2

Re: Perkins 4.108 Overheating

Last overheating problem I had with a Perkins 4.108 turned out to be nothing more than a loose belt on the water pump. Its probably worth checking out.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:04   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Does it loose water before it overheats? If you shut it down before the cap blows, is all the water till there? Before it gets to hot, are there bubbles in the expansion tank?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:08   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
Since there is no way of sugarcoating my major blunder, here are the facts.
I ran the engine without water circulating, for 20-30 minutes before overheating alerted me to the problem. I immediately switched the valve so that water would circulate. The engine cooled down somewhat but lost probably all coolant. Since that time I have replaced the thermostat, although it seemed to be ok. The impeller was destroyed and changed. I removed the hose to the rear of the engine where the remaining pieces of impeller were residing and sucked out a good many pieces with my shop vac. Replaced coolant. Checked oil. No leaks that I can see. However, the engine is still overheating (210+-) Any ideas? The engine has only 1500+ hours.
First step is always checking the obvious
Did you get all the pieces out, especially the tiny ones that maybe went further into you raw water circuit. Can you account for every last piece?

Apart from physically looking at the recovered pieces, you can weigh them along with the remaining impeller body and compare weight to a new impeller. Of course there will be some difference but the amount of difference may be telling.

Engine is not normally badly damaged by a single short overheat problem so there is a fair chance that your heat exchanger is still blocked somewhere.

Good luck and let's hope it is a simple fix!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:09   #5

Thanks GUY, I don't have answers to those questions yet. I will check on them. Away from the boat for couple of days. Thank you.
Old 14-08-2015, 16:22   #6

Thanks Wotname,
Don't have the equipment to weigh the pieces. Did actually think about that. What would I have to take apart to find every last piece of impeller?
Old 14-08-2015, 16:33   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
Thanks Wotname,

Don't have the equipment to weigh the pieces. Did actually think about that. What would I have to take apart to find every last piece of impeller?
If pushed, you might make up a simple beam balance with whatever stuff you have onboard

Try back flushing the heat exchanger with some force. Often but not always, the tubes in the heat exchanger are the smallest part of the system so stuff lodges there first.

However it is wise to check each and every part of the raw water circuit
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:39   #8

Ok Wotname, will see if I can do that. Thanks again.
Old 15-08-2015, 16:04   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I would recommend you dismantle your heat exchanger and clean it thoroughly. Also your water injection elbow where the water mixes with the exhaust. Make sure non of the passages are blocked. Some of the impeller bits you got out may have been from previous impellers.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, overheating, perkins