Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2019, 08:39   #1

Perkins 4-108 Ready to Rebuild

Would like some opinions on what would most interest buyers (and better for the boater community at large). I have a 4-108 that I tore down, bought complete overhaul kit from Maxi Force, shop work done on head and bock (liners, valve guides installed, etc). Most parts prep is done (cleaning, sanding, alum primer, etc). Crank only needed polishing, all bearings are standard. Have ElectroMaax serpentine kit. Would need rocker arm shaft overhaul.

I love these engines and was ready to put it together this summer but had the opportunity to re-power with new ish engine at the right price.

So, would there be more interest selling broken down so someone can assemble themselves or me to assemble and sell as a refurb?

Bought a second engine for parts that is also dissembled.

Location is Nanaimo BC.

Thoughts?

Rick
Northernmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 08:43   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Perkins 4-108 Ready to Rebuild

You would get more $$ parting it out but it may take a while. Heads are in high demand as are bowman hx. If you do part it out, what condition is your inj pump and how much...?
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 08:12   #3

Thks. The one off my engine was working fine, no leaks, operated to max. The one off the other engine I don't know. That engine powered a boat in to the marina for a repower. He didn't like the oil dripping from the aft seal and the noise in transmission. Didn't say anything about fuel system. When I disassembled that engine I found it mechanically sound but had some rust holes in the timing cover (more oil) and the drive plate had a broken tang allowing one of the springs to have fallen out. I have an overhaul kit for each pump. I did take mine apart to see how it worked not touching the timing setting and re-assembled. All the parts looked fine to an untrained eye. I was going to overhaul it then send it for testing.

Haven't decided what to do yet but will let you know if I sell one.
Northernmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 21:59   #4

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

You'd be better off completing the build so you can start it, show it running and do a compression test with the rings seated. Otherwise it's an unknown.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, rebuild