Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2012, 21:58   #1

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue
Perkins 4.108 Rear Main Seal

I am getting ready to put a Perkins 4.108 into service. This engine was built in the 1980's and is from British military surplus. It old and has never been put into service.

I contacted British Marine (the local Perkins authorized dealer) in Oakland, CA to inquire on replacement parts and explained the status of the engine. The technician recommended that the rear main seal be regreased -- as failing to do so would subject the crank shaft to damage during the break in process.

I wanted to get some feedback from people on here who have experience with the Perkins 4.108. I realize the rear main seal is highly prone to developing leaks if it doesn't set well; and develops leaks even when it does. However, my concern is about whether it is necessary to regrease the seal.

Thanks in advance...
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 22:18   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Perkins 4.108 Rear Main Seal

Personaly I would replace it with a new one if available and if not grease it as the dealer said ! Just my 2 cents
Old 25-06-2012, 22:46   #3

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I would do what they say or I would buy the "no leak" rear seal kit from, well, I think it was from Foley engines, you can google it. It's not cheap but it uses a modern seal that should last a long time and not leak until the main bearings are worn out. I would have but I couldn't afford it at that time. I replaced the rear main seal (every seal and gasket on the used engine actually) with the normal perkins crap seal and I have no leaks after 300 hours.
Old 25-06-2012, 22:49   #4

Keep in mind that I spent many years fixing and preventing leaks on Porsche air cooled engines, they love to leak, so I have some experience outside of what your average occasional mechanic might have.
Old 26-06-2012, 00:48   #5

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

The British Military spec Perkins is a cracking engine and a great workhorse, everyone has their own opinion but as bobconnie would say 'just my 2 cents worth'.
If the engine is not installed bolt it to a pallet, connect water fuel etc and run it out of the boat to see if there's any leaks, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you ever need spare parts for it you can get them online at Parts4perkins.com these are direct from the manufacturers who supply Perkins and reasonably cheap. Perkins is now part of the Caterpillar group and you can order parts through them but they are very expensive.
I hope this helps you.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 03:15   #6

When your engine was built, Perkins was part of Massey-Ferguson. Parts are still available from MF farm tractor dealers.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 07:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish rambler View Post
The British Military spec Perkins is a cracking engine and a great workhorse, everyone has their own opinion but as bobconnie would say 'just my 2 cents worth'.
If the engine is not installed bolt it to a pallet, connect water fuel etc and run it out of the boat to see if there's any leaks, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you ever need spare parts for it you can get them online at Parts4perkins.com these are direct from the manufacturers who supply Perkins and reasonably cheap. Perkins is now part of the Caterpillar group and you can order parts through them but they are very expensive.
I hope this helps you.
Thanks. Parts4perkins.com is no longer in existence. Do you happen to know if the vendor goes by a different name or whether there is another vendor for Perkins parts other than factory authori$$$ed dealership$$$?
Old 26-06-2012, 07:25   #8

I used S&W Diesels in Wilmington, they are much cheaper than the guys in Oakland. Even at the same price, they have a really talented parts guy. I got a wholesale account and saved even more, I had an auto shop and I faxed them a copy of my license and resale certificate. If you own a business you can probably BS your way into a wholesale account as well.
Old 26-06-2012, 07:59   #9

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Ed
picked up parts from British Marine in Oakland myself.. as I'm out in the delta, but I've also found parts at "HOLT" tractor on HWY 4 out of stockton.. the perkins is used as a stationary motor for pumps in the south delta pumping water to the fields.. Holt tractor is the local guy in the area.. for the marine side like the impeller pump, its back to british marine..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 15:56   #10

Thanks for the helpful information, everyone! And Randy, thanks for pointing me to Holt Tractor. I'm sure I'll need them somewhere down the line.

I ended up ordering the teflon rear main seal from Foley Engines. After finding out how easy it is to replace it, I took the plunge ($90) and figured it would give me peace of mind in the long term.

I'll update this thread and keep everyone posted on how well the rear main seal is working.
Old 27-06-2012, 02:51   #11

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Astral Blue, You are correct the Parts4perkins website has expired, however they are still trading with the same availability of Perkins parts at parts4engines.com they will of course ship worldwide if parts aren't available locally. Farmers are noted for being parsimonious and only buy at a keen price so any Massey Ferguson, JCB, Manitou, Dodge various generator/pump manufacturers all use Perkins engine so you shouldn't have any trouble getting spares.
I hope this helps.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 04:22   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If the engine has been sitting around for a long time, it would be a really good idea to replace the cork oil pan gaskets before you install it in the boat--another big source of 4108 oil leaks.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 04:37   #13

Boat: WWP 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
If the engine has been sitting around for a long time, it would be a really good idea to replace the cork oil pan gaskets before you install it in the boat--another big source of 4108 oil leaks.
Same goes for the valve covergaskets too. Use the ole needle and thread trick to hold the gasket in place, till you get them tighten down.
Old 27-06-2012, 07:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck49 View Post
Same goes for the valve covergaskets too. Use the ole needle and thread trick to hold the gasket in place, till you get them tighten down.
The engine is currently out of the boat. After replacing the rear main seal, we are going to bench test it before it is hoisted back in. The valve cover gasket will be easy to replace even when the engine is in, but the oil pan gasket is a concern. We are going to monitor it for leaks and take it from there. Fortunately, the engine has had oil in it during its hibernation, so the gasket is saturated; and I have seen no leaks so far.
Old 27-06-2012, 08:17   #15

Astral Blue, unless the engine was overfilled with oil while in storage, the pan gasket was most likly not soaked in oil. Most engines have pans big enough to hold normal oil levels without being over the top edge. It might also be a good idea to PREOIL the engine before you start it. Talk to the tractor people about how to do this. Good Luck with your project._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, seals