Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 18:37   #1

Boat: 1979 Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Perkins 4.236 exhaust leak

Noticed a bit of exhaust in my engine room, upon investigation found its source to be on the port side of the engine, right in the middle but originating towards the bottom of the engine. I have very limited access to the engine but there does not appear to be any manifolds or headers to be leaking on that side of the motor. Is it possible that the oil pan itself needs a new gasket and is leaking out exhaust? I dont see any oil in the bilge but it would be hard to detect if it were just a small amount. oil level seems normal so I dont think its leaking. oil pressure stays high consistently.

I had a guy change the oil right before this leak appeared. is it possible it was done incorrectly? a loose fitting somewhere ?
sunblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:41   #2

Re: Perkins 4.236 exhaust leak

Oh no, even the internet doesn't have an answer \

The only other thing on that side of the engine is some type of vent, and the throttle body but the source is well below that.

Has anyone even seen exhaust leak from the oil pan seal? I'm not sure if that's even a possibility.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:52   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Are you sure its not coming from the vent? Take the oil fill cap off when running and see if you have blow by. You can tell by puffs of air coming out the filler neck. A little is okay but if you feel a lot of smoky air coming out you have problems with, most likely, rings or a blown head gasket.

I can't fathom exhaust gas coming from the location you describe, but then I'm not there.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Are you sure its not coming from the vent? Take the oil fill cap off when running and see if you have blow by. You can tell by puffs of air coming out the filler neck. A little is okay but if you feel a lot of smoky air coming out you have problems with, most likely, rings or a blown head gasket.

I can't fathom exhaust gas coming from the location you describe, but then I'm not there.
I had not considered the vent until looking at the workshop manual and seeing the hose that runs down from the vent to the bottom of the engine. I have a week at least until I will be able to inspect it again.

She always cranks up instantly, would be surprised to see it had low compression, but I guess it only takes one piston to allow some blow by.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2014, 13:34   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

If it is just normal crankcase fumes then you might want to install a Walker Airsep System to help keep your engine room clean.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 13:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
If it is just normal crankcase fumes then you might want to install a Walker Airsep System to help keep your engine room clean.
Its significant. after the engine has ran a couple hours the engine room is hazy and exhaust fumes fill the boat if you open the door. I could see it rising up from the side of the engine, just not enough access and also too hot to dig around much at the time. Think I will start it cold, pull the oil cap and then also check the breather for any blocks. Anything is possible, this boat sat for nearly three years before I bought her last August.

Tags
exhaust, perkins