Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2018, 19:10   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Perkins 4108

Ahoy,

I am connecting my Perkins 4108 temperature and RPM to a N2K network. I am suspicious about the temperature readout and want to know where on the engine temp sender is.

The Perkins is indirect cooled.

Here is a photo. Can anyone shed light on whats what?

Cheers

AG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	perkins 4108.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	164593  
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 20:59   #2

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38
Re: Perkins 4108

Mine is located in the position where you have the arrow labeled "any more wires?" It has a singe lead to the temp dial in my instrument cluster, it's grounded to the block.

I also have an independent high temp alarm that's located at the front of the head, where you have that pipe with valve and other two arrows point to various indicators on that structure. I don't have the pipe, just the alarm sensor plugged in to the 1/2" NPT port at that location. I put that alarm in myself.

The stock position for the temp sender is the one in the aft end, port side, of the head.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 21:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
Mine is located in the position where you have the arrow labeled "any more wires?" It has a singe lead to the temp dial in my instrument cluster, it's grounded to the block.

I also have an independent high temp alarm that's located at the front of the head, where you have that pipe with valve and other two arrows point to various indicators on that structure. I don't have the pipe, just the alarm sensor plugged in to the 1/2" NPT port at that location. I put that alarm in myself.

The stock position for the temp sender is the one in the aft end, port side, of the head.
So "Any more wires" is the temp sender? Presumably its measuring the coolant temperature as it leaves the block?

The sender at the top of photo then might be the temp alarm?

Somewhere there is a sender for oil pressure too as I have the alarm but I dont have a gauge for oil pressure.

Cheers

AG
Old 21-02-2018, 21:10   #4

Quote:

PS: I have two alternators. A balmar for the house and a very old alternator I have yet to find any markings on - but might be original to the engine looking at it. Do you have a similar alternator and if so do you know how many pulses per revolution it sends?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180219_195114 (1).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	164600  
Old 22-02-2018, 13:32   #5

I have a Balmar alternator with a MC-612 regulator. I tap off of the regulator for the tach (and I think I have my settings wrong on the tach, something to address in the spring).

I still have my old alternator that came with the engine, but I've never used it. My guess is that it is probably a Delco alternator, if it's stock, based on the default mounting foot type.
Downeaster 38 #40
Old 22-02-2018, 13:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
So "Any more wires" is the temp sender? Presumably its measuring the coolant temperature as it leaves the block?

The sender at the top of photo then might be the temp alarm?

Somewhere there is a sender for oil pressure too as I have the alarm but I dont have a gauge for oil pressure.

Cheers

AG
Oil pressure sender is typically down on the port side of the block, below and behind the throttle/fuel pump assembly.
Downeaster 38 #40
Old 22-02-2018, 17:13   #7

Quote:
I have a Balmar alternator with a MC-612 regulator. I tap off of the regulator for the tach (and I think I have my settings wrong on the tach, something to address in the spring).

I still have my old alternator that came with the engine, but I've never used it. My guess is that it is probably a Delco alternator, if it's stock, based on the default mounting foot type.
If you have the alternator handy can you please give me the specs/model on the Delco?

Cheers

AG
Old 22-02-2018, 17:14   #8

Quote:
Oil pressure sender is typically down on the port side of the block, below and behind the throttle/fuel pump assembly.
So there is a Oil pressure Alarm sender and a seperate Oil Pressure sender for the actual gauge pressure?
Old 22-02-2018, 17:23   #9

Quote:

Interesting, today I traced the white wire at top of photo to the Temp Alarm.

I would have thought the other wires (bottomish) would then be the Temp Gauge Sender.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4108 pipe.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	164648  
Old 15-06-2024, 15:26   #10

Hey, realize this is a pretty old thread, but what did you use as a gateway from the sending unit wires to N2K?
SollaSollew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins