Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2021, 17:14   #1

Perkins 4108 - Accidentally turned Anti Stall screw

After a long debacle of filling my engine with seawater due to a faulty anti siphon valve, I have it cleaned and the oil changed.

Tried to start the motor, and she won't fire. I bled the fuel lines as prescribed, and still no love. Bled the fuel lines again. Bubble free fuel flowing at all 4 bleed points. I removed the atomizers and ran turned the motor over in 20 second bursts for a total of a minute and there is no fuel coming out of the atomizers. I'd likely think it was just time to bleed for a third time, but a more nefarious issue came up.

While loosening the tiny screw on top of the anti stall device to bleed the first time, I noticed that the little housing it sits on was wiggling ever so slightly on it's gasket. So I tightened both nuts (not realizing it was the anti stall device). I've since read never to turn those nuts.

So now I'm wondering if it won't start for air in the line or if over tightening the anti stall would cause such a malady.

I'm also wondering if the fact that the housing seems slightly loose might be inducing air into the system, even though the bleed screws have no bubbles.

Would love to see some beautiful diesel flowing from those atomizers.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Toomuchboattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 08:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Perkins 4108 - Accidentally turned Anti Stall screw

It seems that you are not the first to make this boo-boo. Here are past threads on it:

Perkins 4108 fuel pump anti stall device - Cruisers & Sailing ...
Sep 18, 2017
perkins 4-108 stalls at idle - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Sep 21, 2013
governor and idle of a perkins 4-108 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Dec 12, 2019
Perkins 4/108 Challenge - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Oct 23, 2012

Tags
accident, crew, perkins