Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2021, 18:50   #1

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Perkins 4108 and Jabsco 3270 water pump - replacement gaskets?

I had to remove the waterpump from the motor to replace the seals that came with the impeller kit. It appears there is a gasket (now torn) between the water pump and the adapter plate which is mounted to the engine. What material would you recommend to make a new gasket?

Same goes for the impeller cover - the one that came with the kit was torn. Seems extremely thin and I've read to replace it with a magazine cover. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 19:23   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Perkins 4108 and Jabsco 3270 water pump - replacement gaskets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
I had to remove the waterpump from the motor to replace the seals that came with the impeller kit. It appears there is a gasket (now torn) between the water pump and the adapter plate which is mounted to the engine. What material would you recommend to make a new gasket?
^^Thin card like used for greeting cards, manila folders, old paper nautical charts etc.

Same goes for the impeller cover - the one that came with the kit was torn. Seems extremely thin and I've read to replace it with a magazine cover. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.
The impeller cover gasket has to be thin so the thinnest paper you can find.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 05:10   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Perkins 4108 and Jabsco 3270 water pump - replacement gaskets?

Complete agreement with Wotname.

You can cut gaskets out of just about any paper, but I would not recommend a magazine cover. The reason is the load of sizing and coating on the paper, put there so that the slick graphics will print well. Notice how that paper glues itself together if it gets wet.

Gasket paper is not expensive; buy a sheet of each type/thickness or accumulate a collection by buying what you need each time. The only time I've resorted to ordinary paper I varnished it for a better water seal.

Here's a basic collection of the thicker varieties:

https://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-3060-...91744712&psc=1

Tags
gasket, jabsco, men, perkins, pump, water, water pump